• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lying breeders U/D post 31

molly35

Mama Doe
Well the german lop I am going to see this afternoon I have just found out is actually owned by a breeder who lied and said she was moving away so he had to go as they couldn't take him with them. Do I still go and get him anyway as our vets are doing half price neutering this month and rehome him myself or do I just leave him to whatever fate he ends up in .................. I hate being put in this position

Last edited:
That wouldnt by chance be in Newbiggin by the Sea would it? Just when looking on preloved I have noticed this person advertising a lot of rabbits, I live in Newbiggin and don't know who it is mind and its not a big place.

Get the rabbit anyway. Its a little harsh to leave him in that position just because he's owned by a 'breeder'. He may or may not be replaced but if the owner is planning on moving who knows where he would end up.

Helen xx

I doubt very much that she is moving away, she has loads of adverts on preloved along with another advertiser both from Newbiggin by the Sea for rabbits of various ages from babies upwards. She has never mentioned moving away in any of her other listings he is most probably surplus to requirements poor soul.

He might just be "too old to breed" or cant produce a litter etc. I got my male piggie from a breeder who wasn't a baby, and I think it was only because he wouldn't be good for breeding

Dont know what to suggest really, I would be wary of taking your rabbit to where he is though with her having so many rabbits. I doubt that they are vaccinated etc. Maybe go have a look by yourself but don't commit if he doesn't look to healthy :( I would cave in though and take him anyway most prob :roll:

I would be wary of taking your rabbit to where he is though with her having so many rabbits. I doubt that they are vaccinated etc.

I agree with this. Also if its a breeding bun its probably not neutered so I'd be wary of introducing him to your bun before this has been done anyway, given you are thinking of a male pair.

If he's being given away for free from a breeder I'd worry that he has some kind of health problem. I think if you did get him you'd need to keep him well away from your bunny for a good while and get him neutered in that time. Surely at 2 he should still be able to breed?:?

She started off advertising him for £45 but is now giving him to me for free!

Can you keep him separately for a while? If so I would get him, and get him vaccinate/neutered and health checked before introducing them, he would need this anyway.

Do you have the money to cope if he does have problems?

Can you keep him separately for a while? If so I would get him, and get him vaccinate/neutered and health checked before introducing them, he would need this anyway.

Do you have the money to cope if he does have problems?

Yes at present I have a hutch to keep him separate, I can get him neutered and vacc'd no problem but couldn't really afford any long term health issues. I have got my eye on a gorgeous girl at a rescue down south my only concern being my boy and her don't bond hence the reason I was looking at this male being a lot nearer.

Yes at present I have a hutch to keep him separate, I can get him neutered and vacc'd no problem but couldn't really afford any long term health issues. I have got my eye on a gorgeous girl at a rescue down south my only concern being my boy and her don't bond hence the reason I was looking at this male being a lot nearer.

Surely you have a much better chance of bonding your current boy with a girl than with another boy rabbit??

a 2 male bond *can* be harder than male/female and i'd really be concerned about why she's suddenly gone from £45 to free without hesitation. There could be health reasons, certainly.

Sorry to say i dont think i'd be getting this lad, however sad it may be.

Back