• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ryedale Hutches

Leigh

Mama Doe
In terms of Duke and Libby whose main home is always over 36sq ft - we unfortunately cant really attach a run to their outdoor wendy house so in the summer they have to have a separate hutch and run (better for duke anyway with his tummy - limits his grass access!)

I just wondered, if you were going to buy an outdoor area for them from Ryedale Hucthes what would you get?

Really I would have liked a long run so that they can really stretch their legs which Rhiann33 has kindly suggested some of in this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264576

but I just wondered what options you would look at from here: http://www.rehutches.com/index.php

The runs Rhiann33 suggested are nice and long but we would have to buy a hutch to put inside the run too so wondered about this as a possible option - just exploring ideas really

(also if you were thinking about maybe fostering :)shock:) what set up would you purchase from ryedale? - or would you go for something like http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=11027537&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=10&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b9372012%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9372022%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9372071%7d&fh_refview=lister&ts=1294830978591&isSearch=false the main problem being that there would no chance of adding a run and so a separate run would have to be purchased)

Thanks again for any help :)

Last edited:
I hope someone can advise you better than I can, but just wanted to say Spenser has a Ryedale with under-run. I didn't go for the attached run option, partly because a moveable run for the grass suited my parents best and it's their garden. A set-up likes Spenser's, but a bit bigger and with the attached run, would be probably good for prospective fosters. I had the under-run floored, so that it was more like a two storey hutch, but the wood has blackened in places so I wouldn't really rercommend this.

thanks susie :D

what do you think of the quality?

i was thinking about a log lap one but i have absolutely no idea what shape/size

ive emailed to ask them if they could do a custom built run as duke has previously had a 10ft one...

hoping the duchess might stumble across this post too as now we have libby i would like her to know and have an input into what we do :D

I have a 6 x 2 x 2 Ryedale log lap hutch and my husband made a seperate run. I'm very impressed with the hutch, fantastic quality and delivery is included in the price.....very good value. I wouldn't get any other make now.:D I asked for a middle set of legs....not a problem for them.

I have a 6 x 2 x 2 Ryedale log lap hutch and my husband made a seperate run. I'm very impressed with the hutch, fantastic quality and delivery is included in the price.....very good value. I wouldn't get any other make now.:D I asked for a middle set of legs....not a problem for them.

is ur hutch one with a sloping roof? and with the little door in th roof bit?

how watertight are the ryedale hutches? A small concern of mine is that if we put a lot of money into the run but purchased a cheaper hutch then if we had a rainy summers day I would want them to be dry and cosy not soggy and wet :/

well thats good to know.....

ok so ill wait to hear back from them about what they might be able to make for us. i emailed them yesterday lunch but not heard anything yet - i am just so impatient! :lol:

just wondering whether anyone else had any thoughts about a possible set up and what they thought of their ryedale hutches x

I have had ryedales for my piggies before they were custom made to a design and layout for what I wanted without any trouble, delivered them on an Easter Sunday morning before 07.00 hours. Definately would use again and although expensive I think they are well worth the money and they last which makes them in the long run cheaper per year than many of the other 'cheap' hutches.

The only disadvantage is if you can call it a disavantage is, that they are VERY heavy.

The other hutches I would invest is are the Kernow Pet Housing which is what Helen (The Dutchess) has and I think they are excellent value for money.

I too love my ryedale, it is very sturdy (as Janice says, you wouldn't want to move it once you've put it somewhere!) and they will custom make. Be very careful to check the measurements before you order as some of their sizings can be a bit random (e.g. some of them are 6ft long but not 2ft high as standard - and where they've been custom made to 2ft high, the ramp has been too steep). But if you are very clear exactly what you want, they will do it for you.

I have this one: http://www.rehutches.com/rabbit-hutches-017.php
and I asked them to make a door on each end at the bottom as well as at the front, so I could attach a run to the side instead of the front so it's easier to get to everything. I think it only cost about £15 extra.

I've had mine about 3 years now I think and it is mostly 'as new'. I have noticed recently though that a bit of water has started getting in at one corner, I think where it manages to rest on the log lap joins, so I have whacked a couple of coats of external gloss paint on the outside of it (not suitable for areas bunnies can chew!) and that seems to have stopped it.

Overall it is by far the best hutch I've ever had though and I would definitely buy again :) The cheaper ones I've had are pretty much toast after that period of time but this one looks as if it has years left in it.

The other hutches I would invest is are the Kernow Pet Housing which is what Helen (The Dutchess) has and I think they are excellent value for money.

ive been there - are the kernow ones the wendy houses or the 'what you would imagine to be a hutch'? :wave:

Thanks Santa

So if you wanted something which duke and libby could use as a day run to get some sunshine what sort of size would you guys get? (they have over 36sq ft in the wendy house which is their main house and also over 36sqft while they are living indoors after losing their winter coats during bonding)

and if you were looking at fostering and had to have a separate run how big a hutch would you get?

oh right - yes they were excellent - could see how sturdy they were when we were there.

we are happy to get something that will last and pay for it - just need to work out what.

think i will take piccies of the garden when its light (tricky when you work 9-5!) and upload so people can see our problem :D

Back