• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help Please

Ralph

Young Bun
Hi Guys

Just need a bit of advice re my three.

I used to feed my Nethie on Excell Junior and Dwarf which he did so well on, loved it and looked fab.

Last Summer I added two Lionhead X's, they were fed on cheap musli stuff and I changed them over to Excell, then onto Wagg Optimum.

The Nethie is fussy, I decided to change their food as Excell was a bit expensive for them all and so over the last few months have chopped and changed a bit which I know isnt too good! At the moment they are fed Excell (normal adult) and a handful of Rabbit Royal as a treat. They only pick at the Excell but love the RR.

I noted at the weekend the two Lionheads X's have mucky bums. I am guessing from reading on here its the Excell. I dont want to keep them on RR as they leave the little bits and I feel I waste too much.

They also barely touch hay!

So fresh start as of this weekend! I think they fill up on veg so cutting those down. Need a food which is ideally pellet, not too expensive, will avoid mucky bums and that they will eat! Will then get them onto that and try again with the hay.

Any ideas? Nethie is correct weight but other two a bit chubby :oops: as I fed more when it was so cold. They are getting lazy when out and I want them to look trim again and be healthy!

Any help or suggestions would be great :wave:

My lot are on the Wagg Optimum and do well on it. Its fairly cheap easy to get hold of and has a good fibre content at 17%. A lot of people use SS and A and P but they are a bit pricey and harder to get hold of

When mine have gone on the chubby side I've changed to Excel Light.

I'd make sure you up the hay though.

Mucky bums could just be because they're of the chubby side and can't clean themselves properly.

I feel so bad they are a bit chubby. They went to the vets in October and got the ok, but then I have been poorly so they havent been out as much or had as much attention :cry:

I want to really cut down the pellet and veg to make them eat hay but I worry so much as my little Nethie has never eaten it. I think the others are just greedy and will eat it if they have to but he may starve!:shock:

I'm currently switching mine to Science Selective from a pellet from local feed store.
How much are you feeding the dry mix and veggies? If they're getting too 'full' because they're getting too much food they won't eat their hay, kind of like kiddies with sweets and tea time.
If they are adult they should only need an egg cup of pellets and a small handful of veg a day, then hay available 24hrs a day, I top my buns hay up x 2 daily as they like it fresh.

We use SS and while it may seem expensive (£5.99 for a 3kg bag) it lasts us really well cos I only give them two tablespoons each a day. A 1.5kg bag lasts us about 1-1.5 months and a 3kg bag about 2-3 months. I have exact figures on my other computer :oops:

You want their diet to be mainly hay with pellets and veg as treats.

Last edited:
Allen and Page has a good fibre content and is actually very cheap. However unless you can find a pet shop who splits it themselves you can only get hold of it in 20Kg sacks and it has quite a short shelf life. Its fine for me as I have 11 mouths to feed but with only 3 buns you might get a lot of waste.

I really don't think your nethie will starve but you can try to encourage him to eat more hay by mixing herbs or grated carrot in with it. You could also try mixing in some readigrass.

Thanks very much for the advice. I think they are filling up on veg and with less excerise due to the weather and so on is why they are a bit chubby. I cut down on veg last night and tonight. More pellets gone but barely any hay. Reduced pellets tonight and veg so will see in the morning. Might also add hay to the litter trays as they sit in them always. Have also ordered more hay today and will look at food this weekend. Will keep you updated!

Back