• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much space does your indoor bunny have when you are out at work etc?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
What sq foot do people have for indoor setups where there bunny is kept in whilst at work or out of the house temporarily etc- (not including those who allow buns to freerange the house permanently, just those that are kept in enclosures of some kind)?

What would you say is the min space for a solo bunny or a pair living indoors and being left alone the majority of the day or at intervals then free-ranging at night?

Thanks

Last edited:
What sq foot do people have for indoor setups where there bunny is kept in whilst at work or out of the house temporarily etc- (not including those who allow buns to freerange the house permanently, just those that are kept in enclosures of some kind)?

What would you say is the min space for a solo bunny or a pair living indoors and being left alone the majority of the day or at intervals then free-ranging at night?

Thanks

I don't have house bunnies but should they be kept in the same size space that they should have if outdoors? :?

so equivalant to a 6ft hutch with attached run

Doodee has the run of the lounge night and day. Its approx 12 foot by 20 foot.

Pumpkin stays in a large puppy crate as his sight is poor and he cannot see what trouble he could be getting into. When i am home he has the run of a very large kitchen and dining room.

I would also say that the same minimum space for outside bunnies would apply.
Julie has the kitchen and laundry rooms. I don't know the sq footage but the kitchen is a good size and the laundry room is fairly small.

I dont have indoor buns now but when I did they were single male foster buns smallish in size. They had a 48" dog crate with a 4ft square pen attached. Fudge was my first ever house bun and was an absolute star he would have an hour and a half free range in the morning and 6 hours after work

we're thinking of trying ours indoors in the summer, they'll either have a 50sqft area in the living room or the whole of the spare room (about 12ftx12ft I think) when we're out.

we don't actually have them in yet though, so it may not end up working that way.

Mine are locked up into a C&C cage that's 2x3 cubes (a little bit more than 2ftx3ft). They used to have much larger set-ups, but as they sleep through the entire night (apart from the occasional nibble/litter tray visit), I could downsize their "bedroom". They get free range of my bedroom during waking hours, whether I am in or not. Don't see having them in a giant cage taking up my entire room if all they're going to do is snooze ;)
I think the idea of free range of a room (with either a base, or a bedroom for night time) sounds best :wave:

Mine has our livingroom/kitchen which is 12-15 foot long and the same wide, plus they have their NIC shelves (one side is a 'bun' side with their toys etc and a few shelves to hop on....

Barney has a cage of approx 4ft x 2ft.

He is locked in at night and if I will be gone for more than 2 hours. I trust him on his own for 2 hours or so but much longer and he gets bored and destructive.

He gets a minimum of 8 hours free range a day, usually more.

However at the moment I am trying to get him totally free-range, although he has foiled my bunny-proofing today so set that back a bit. If he gets a friend he will also get a new c&c cage which will be 5ft x 3ft for nighttime use.

ETA just to clarify by free-range I mean he has the run of my large bedroom, he does come with me downstairs sometimes but cannot manage the stairs so only if I take him down.

Last edited:
Mine are locked up into a C&C cage that's 2x3 cubes (a little bit more than 2ftx3ft). They used to have much larger set-ups, but as they sleep through the entire night (apart from the occasional nibble/litter tray visit), I could downsize their "bedroom". They get free range of my bedroom during waking hours, whether I am in or not. Don't see having them in a giant cage taking up my entire room if all they're going to do is snooze ;)
I think the idea of free range of a room (with either a base, or a bedroom for night time) sounds best :wave:

They sleep at night? Wish Julie would. She is up playing all night and will bang and scratch on the baby gate if bored for company. Right before I head off to bed I set up her toys as a mini obstacle course, put out chewing toys and hide treats for her to find and put some in her balls. I can hear her playing most of the night.

Agree with outdoor minimums at least should also apply to indoor.

When we aren't home or are in bed, Louie has the conservatory, kitchen, hall, stairs and landing.

My lionheads used to be put away at night and when we were out - for their safety as the room had quite a bit of junk in it - and they were in a 5 foot by 2.5 foot enclosure (couldn't fit 6 foot in cos of the stairs)

Agree with outdoor minimums at least should also apply to indoor.

When we aren't home or are in bed, Louie has the conservatory, kitchen, hall, stairs and landing.

I think so too - at least 12 sq foot anyway.

Back