• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just went out to find fur everywhere! :shock:

beccimarie

Mama Doe
:shock: i really thought something had got in the cage, i went out to see the buns and noticed poppys bits of fur everywhere.. now casper and poppy have been together for 4 years now.. never had a problem.. due to casper having a respiratory problem he can only go under GA for emergancys therefore the vet has always said it would be to risky to neuter him.. but iv been lucky as he has never tried to do anything with poppy, (poppy is neutered) But i observed and casper has started monting poppy and tugging at her fur :? he has just recovered from a bad case of the snuffles.. do you think its because he is getting better he is trying to dominate?

This has never happened before.. im shocked!

Have not got an answer have just discovered the same problem with my two, both girls mother and daughter who have been together for about 8 months, since Buttons birth, got them both from a rehome mum had been badly treated it has take 6 months to bring her around and now Button is bullying her and they are taking cobs of fur out of each other - dont know what to do shall I separate them, but then they will be lonely, when they are in the house they are fine its just in the hutch and I don't know how often it occurs but mum is getting stressed by it all now you can see. Help !!!

becci if it's just mounting then you could probably just keep an eye on it. All my bunnies are neutered/spayed and they still have moments like this, even the long term pairs. Its always worse in spring. Obviously you have the added fact that casper cannot be neutered but as long as it isn't getting out of hand I wouldn't seperate them just yet.

janefrancis are both your girls unspayed? If so it could be hormonal and this would be my first course of action.

If its getting aggressive it may be best to seperate, spay then rebond.

Otherwise your vet could probably spay both at the same time so they could recover together.

:shock: i really thought something had got in the cage, i went out to see the buns and noticed poppys bits of fur everywhere.. now casper and poppy have been together for 4 years now.. never had a problem.. due to casper having a respiratory problem he can only go under GA for emergancys therefore the vet has always said it would be to risky to neuter him.. but iv been lucky as he has never tried to do anything with poppy, (poppy is neutered) But i observed and casper has started monting poppy and tugging at her fur :? he has just recovered from a bad case of the snuffles.. do you think its because he is getting better he is trying to dominate? This has never happened before.. im shocked!

He could be trying to re-assert himself as the dominant one if he's just got better. Biscuit did this after his GI issues a while ago.

Was he the dominant one anyway?

He could be trying to re-assert himself as the dominant one if he's just got better. Biscuit did this after his GI issues a while ago.

Was he the dominant one anyway?

Thanks for all the comments, He did not seem to be the dominant one.. i always thought poppy was but tbh i dont really know who is dominant :oops: Anyone know how a could tell?

p.s he has stopped.. hopefully it is just because he has recovered :roll: poor poppy thou..

Thanks for all the comments, He did not seem to be the dominant one.. i always thought poppy was but tbh i dont really know who is dominant :oops: Anyone know how a could tell?

p.s he has stopped.. hopefully it is just because he has recovered :roll: poor poppy thou..

Glad its stopped! No advice on why, but to see which bun is the dominant one, watch them. Does Poppy follow Casper around the place?

Thanks Amy, the mum is spayed but not Button the baby - I rang the vet to see if it would help she said it could take months for it to calm down even if I got her spayed. They seem to be fighting over who goes in the bedroom, but are fine the rest of the time, they are set cuddled up in their basket now its very strange, and after a fight session button will sit and lick midnights head - am very confused

Thanks Amy, the mum is spayed but not Button the baby - I rang the vet to see if it would help she said it could take months for it to calm down even if I got her spayed

How old is the baby?

I still think its a good idea to get her spayed when she's ready as it will help with her hormones and also protect her against health issues such as cancer.

Thanks Amy, the mum is spayed but not Button the baby - I rang the vet to see if it would help she said it could take months for it to calm down even if I got her spayed. They seem to be fighting over who goes in the bedroom, but are fine the rest of the time, they are set cuddled up in their basket now its very strange, and after a fight session button will sit and lick midnights head - am very confused

I woudl definatley advise you to get the baby done before any great harm or injuries occur. It varies very much between all buns how long it takes for the hormones to settle. It may make the difference between injuries and needing to get another rabbit set up.

Back