• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

outdoor hutch

Leigh

Mama Doe
sorry im sure this has probably been covered many times over but...

does anything spring to mind to anyone for an outdoor hutch which would house 2 bunnies as a daytime play area in the summer? would need to have a covered section should they want to hide and also a run so that they can come out in the sunshine.

everything i look at seems so small, and then i want something attractive looking :oops: and also really well made.

just musing at the moment but open to any thoughts.

I like the style of the snug and run, looks relatively easy to move and keep clean - but its WAY too small.

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/our-rabbit-runs.php

im starting to think a single story hutch with a run which will attach...

(it would also have to go on the grass so would have to wire underneath and im slightly wary that we have very heavy clay soil and the ground can become a bit bog like - shouldnt matter really though as would only be in the summer)

EDIT - oh and i would also like it to be pretty tall so that they can get right up on their tippy toes and look around - minimum 2ft high

Last edited:
yeah just did an online conversion and realised the hutch height was about 1.3ft!

theres a chicken coop which looks a MUCH better size but then access doesnt look as easy....

im stuck in the same circle i was in last time i looked - sigh

What about contacting http://runaboutruns.com/aboutus.aspx and seeing how much delivery would be to you. You could then get a cheap hutch as a shelter to put inside:wave:

not seen them before - it does look nice but wow thats not cheap, id go for the largest and thats £200 without delivery :/

an additional problem is that i may now need 2 (hence unsure about the price of above) and would need to be able to angle them so that bunnies couldnt see each other...

not seen them before - it does look nice but wow thats not cheap, id go for the largest and thats £200 without delivery :/

an additional problem is that i may now need 2 (hence unsure about the price of above) and would need to be able to angle them so that bunnies couldnt see each other...

They are fab quaility, I've seen them in the flesh. They are 10ft x5ft and the expensive ones are 4ft high with a door so you can go in sit in the run with them. Would the 6ftx4ft ones not be suitable if they are indoor buns with lots of space?

They are fab quaility, I've seen them in the flesh. They are 10ft x5ft and the expensive ones are 4ft high with a door so you can go in sit in the run with them. Would the 6ftx4ft ones not be suitable if they are indoor buns with lots of space?

firstly - thanks for the help :D

duke and libby are indoor bunnies now (long bonding story) but will go back outside in the summer, they have a 7x5 shed with 3 levels in it but its not in a position where it gets any sun and a permanent run couldnt be added because the garden is constantly at changing angles with footpaths and hedges and fences - it just doesnt work - sigh

so they have to have a separate run in the summer to get some grass and sunshine time. would it be ok that they had a 7x5 shed and then the 10ft (L) x 5ft (W) x 3ft (H) as a day run?

problem is that im not sure we could fit two runs of that size on our lawn :/ its a small garden made worse by so many odd angles - was a MASSIVE compromise when we moved house :(

not really sure we would need to sit in the run with them as when we put them back we will sit in the wendy house with them so the height in terms of a human being able to get in isnt too impt - the height is only really important for them to be able to stretch up and look about.

it would kind of be nice to have a hingled lid perhaps as well so that catching them would be easy - our set up at the moment tends to lead so some very soggy wet knees in a rainy summers day :lol:

firstly - thanks for the help :D

duke and libby are indoor bunnies now (long bonding story) but will go back outside in the summer, they have a 7x5 shed with 3 levels in it but its not in a position where it gets any sun and a permanent run couldnt be added because the garden is constantly at changing angles with footpaths and hedges and fences - it just doesnt work - sigh

so they have to have a separate run in the summer to get some grass and sunshine time. would it be ok that they had a 7x5 shed and then the 10ft (L) x 5ft (W) x 3ft (H) as a day run?

problem is that im not sure we could fit two runs of that size on our lawn :/ its a small garden made worse by so many odd angles - was a MASSIVE compromise when we moved house :(

not really sure we would need to sit in the run with them as when we put them back we will sit in the wendy house with them so the height in terms of a human being able to get in isnt too impt - the height is only really important for them to be able to stretch up and look about.

it would kind of be nice to have a hingled lid perhaps as well so that catching them would be easy - our set up at the moment tends to lead so some very soggy wet knees in a rainy summers day :lol:

That sound absolutely fine to me. The runs come with removable lids so you could just take it off and hop in to catch them.

ok well its definitely an option. and would be probably be easier to move without having to move a hutch.....

it would work for our two who would be put away at night but the second run we might need would probably be to permanently house buns in so would need to be secure - quite like the idea of a little wendy house.... lord only knows where it would go though - we wouldnt have any lawn left! :shock:

according to welfare guidelines.... duke and libbys wendyhouse is in excess of 36 sq ft and their indoor NIC cubes are as well, so if they were to go out on the grass during the day what size should we really be looking at, i realise absolutely that always the bigger the better im just not sure how we can fit it all in the garden :/

duke and libby need an outdoor run with somewhere to hide if they want

other bunnies, a yet unknown, need a proper house and run, run doesnt have to be attached but it might make it easier for us if it was

wondering how many other companies there are out there who i havent found in my endless google searches!

sorry for the long post - sort of typing while i think :lol: probably makes no sense and reads as the ramblings of a mad woman!

I guess a run and then a hutch inside the run might give us flexibility down the line....

hmmm, going to have to talk to the hubby more, we have hardly seen each other since he got back home, with duke being ill, him being jet lagged and both horsford campagining.

I guess a run and then a hutch inside the run might give us flexibility down the line....

hmmm, going to have to talk to the hubby more, we have hardly seen each other since he got back home, with duke being ill, him being jet lagged and both horsford campagining.

You've done amazing on there Amy & Leigh !:love:

purely in terms of fostering - if you bought from happy hutch and were thinking a single story plus run - would one of these generally be acceptable? and what size would most rescues want?

(understand that different rescues may require different things - just looking for a ball park really)

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/details.php?product=74

thx

Garden Woodcraft

Far too short I'm afraid at only 16" :wave:

Hi there,

I know it's a bit late to respond, but I wanted to mention that the hutches featured on http://www.gardenwoodcraft.co.uk/rabbit_hutch_1.htm are in fact much taller than 16" - this measurement did not include the gable roof, and was an error on the site. This has since been corrected, and all the sizes are now stated to be a much more realistic measurement (i.e. they can actually fit a rabbit inside!!).

Steve

Hi there,

I know it's a bit late to respond, but I wanted to mention that the hutches featured on http://www.gardenwoodcraft.co.uk/rabbit_hutch_1.htm are in fact much taller than 16" - this measurement did not include the gable roof, and was an error on the site. This has since been corrected, and all the sizes are now stated to be a much more realistic measurement (i.e. they can actually fit a rabbit inside!!).

Steve

Hello Steve.

I am sorry but I have had a look at this site and I'd not recommend any of the sizes that I have looked at. The all weather part of the accommodation just seems too small - how can a rabbit hop up and down in a little wooden box like this. The upstairs housing needs to be lengthways along the whole of the top of the run for it be work in my opinion. I have a little rescue and I'd not rehome to one of these.

Of all of the runs I have looked at on the site too, they are all 16inches tall which is way way too low. I would want to see an absolute minimum of 24 inches but 36 is better still allowing rabbits to binky.

Last edited:
To the OP - have you thought about attaching the run to the shed with a runaround tunnel, either the pipes or the mesh ones? This would mean you dont need to have such a big run, and can have it attached whilst allowing for your oddly shaped garden :)

Back