• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Penelope is burying her head in the hay

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Anybody any idea why she would have taken to do this? I went to check on them at 4pm and she was motionless (not eating) with her head buried under the hay. After I touched her she pulled it out and then assaulted me for treats (like she normally does.)

why would she be doing this? It was a scary sight, it looked like she was face-down in the hay, ie dead.

:shock:

What a fright.

I've no idea and wouldn't like to hazard a guess - hope she's ok.

one of my females does this in deep hay.. she pushes it along and re arranges it all.. if i walk in and catch her she just kind of freezes mid-push!
could yours be doing the same? if she is still bright and asking for treats she must be feeling ok. :D she sometimes sleeps like that too. :roll:

That can be scary, not sure why she is doing it. I've seen Oakley bury himself in hay and also under the fleecy blankets including one day he was tucked up mostly under a blanket with his head out. He tends to look pleased with himself when he comes out so must be enjoying himself :)

Do you think she is playing?

yes, or just chilling! when mine does it she can sometimes be so out of it she doesn't hear me go in the shed! maybe it makes them feel secure. :D

April does this!! It's very strange. But she's recently taken to moving EVERYTHING around. So I have to learn where things go and remember or she gets upset :shock:. But I caught her the other day hiding under her hay. I think she likes the darkness of it...

Also, my bun isn't spayed yet and I believe she's sort of "nesting" as such. Is your little bun spayed? :)

yes she is spayed but she is young so was only done before christmas. she did nest a couple of times pulling fur out etc. my other female of the same age just used to march around with tons of straw in her mouth and taking it from one place to another! they are sweet and funny!:D

Back