• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ivermectin 450mcg - Xeno 450

VickiP

Wise Old Thumper
I was prescribed 3 little individual tubes of this for Gizmo to put on the back of his neck, I held back because one area on his back has new fur growing and the vet wasn't overly sure it was mites - however I noticed some more flakey skin, dandruffy bits today brushing him so I've put one of the little doses on the back of his neck while he was eating and I'm distracting him, he did use his back paw to scratch this area just now and licked it, I suppose it had been put on about 15 mins ago, I'm assuming it's not harmful if a small amount is injested like this ?

Last edited:
No ingesting ivermectin is not harmful at all according to Marie Kubiak - apparently it is designed for some species to be given orally. :wave:

When I have used it i have tried to keep the buns from grooming each other for an hour or so when hopefully most of the active ingred would have been absorbed anyway.
It is important to apply it in several places as per instructions rather than just one spot on the neck if you can.

No ingesting ivermectin is not harmful at all according to Marie Kubiak - apparently it is designed for some species to be given orally. :wave:

When I have used it i have tried to keep the buns from grooming each other for an hour or so when hopefully most of the active ingred would have been absorbed anyway.
It is important to apply it in several places as per instructions rather than just one spot on the neck if you can.

:? Oh it says on my instructions apply 3 tubes on the back of neck, repeat after 4 weeks if necessary, because the vet wasn't sure about whether it's self harm (overgrooming) or mites she said to do just one tube on the back of the neck initially and watch for 4 weeks if not improved then apply another one.

:? Oh it says on my instructions apply 3 tubes on the back of neck, repeat after 4 weeks if necessary, because the vet wasn't sure about whether it's self harm (overgrooming) or mites she said to do just one tube on the back of the neck initially and watch for 4 weeks if not improved then apply another one.

It's normally 3 doses each two weeks apart so a 6 week course in total :wave:

ETA from what you describe it does sound to me like normal fur moulting with a spot of normal dandruff rather than mites anyway :? Cheyletiella mites normally don't present with new fur growth underneath. One of my buns gets terrible dandruff when he's moulting. Did the vet not do a skin scrape under the microscope?

Last edited:

Really that much! I've only got 3 little tubes, it's only him that has this, I thought he was moulting (he still might be) but, the hair loss was going from just below his neck all the way down his back and there was a lot of white scurfy flaky skin at one point, when I saw that I whipped him to the vet, there is new fur coming through and when the vet first looked at it her first impression was that he had been with another bun who had pulled the fur out, when I explained about him being next to hormonal Pixie face who has been stressing him by buzzing about a bit lately - she said it could be self harm but, that it wouldn't hurt to do a course of this to rule out mites, I'm sure she said one tube at a time as he isn't too bad, perhaps I'll apply another dose in two weeks time then - I've to take Pixie in this week for her post spay check so I can check it then.

Thanks for the link I had a read of that and feel a bit better, he had a big spring green leaf and a strand of kale and some dill wet while I did it, he's resting now I only saw him go for it with his back paw once or twice but, he shook himself as if to say 'get it off me', he did eat a bit of dill he missed after so it didn't upset him too much. No other bunny can lick him atm - I have to bond Pixie to him when she is fully recovered - how long do you reckon - I was thinking 4 weeks ( which would mean he'd had all 3 tubes then if I do them fortnightly) as she has bounced back soooo well, apart from her wound she was normal - like the bucks are although that could be because I had pain relief this time !

ETA from what you describe it does sound to me like normal fur moulting with a spot of normal dandruff rather than mites anyway :? Cheyletiella mites normally don't present with new fur growth underneath. One of my buns gets terrible dandruff when he's moulting. Did the vet not do a skin scrape under the microscope?

No thats what I suggested but, her feeling was it was probably not mites hence the suggestion to try one tube and monitor with gentle grooming etc I think she was thinking it was more dandruffy and he's been pulling his fur out -(I feel awful because I think he's been dying to get to Pixie) it's just in the one line aswell down his back rather than anywhere else and he's been moulty I think - he felt boney to me but, she weighed him and he had put on a bit and she said he was fine it was just because his fur had gone thinner.

Thanks for your help, I expect it is just moulting dandruff but, I just wanted to be on the safe side. It won't do him any harm as such to have the treatment and then at least if there are any present they will be zapped.:wave:

Last edited:
It may be mites and it may not be, it won't do any harm to treat him for them anyway.

Sorry my lack of punctuation is appalling - I meant 3 tubes in total spread over 6 weeks - so just one tube two weeks apart :wave:

It may be mites and it may not be, it won't do any harm to treat him for them anyway.

Sorry my lack of punctuation is appalling - I meant 3 tubes in total spread over 6 weeks - so just one tube two weeks apart :wave:

:lol: You replied as I edited my last one - thats brilliant yes I thought that's what you meant when I re-read it, I'll give him another dose in a fortnight then 2 weeks after that before he gets bonded to Pixie. Thanks again.

I've just come back from the vets with honey, apparently she has mites too, but she was given ivomec orally? Don't know if that's the same drug as yours, but obviously it must be ok to ingest it!

Back