• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone with lionheads i need your help?!!

Do all lionheads tend to have dental problems?
Grooming wise do you groom your lionhead everyday?

I know i have lionheads but the are both cross lionhead ;)

Do all lionheads tend to have dental problems?
Grooming wise do you groom your lionhead everyday?

I know i have lionheads but the are both cross lionhead ;)

I almost never groom mine. I know that will probably get me told off, but they hate it. They never really need grooming oddly as they look after themselves perfectly. They are ridiculously clean and neat.

I have never had any problems with teeth with mine either.

By the way...yours are gorgeous :love:

I groom Casper once a week in summer and twice in winter (he has twice as much fur then).

His furs quite a weird texture and doesn't matt easily though.

He hasn't had any dental probs (now 3yrs) and touch wood never will.

Ginger is a Lionhead X Dwarf lop, with no Lionhead :roll:

Both her and Biccy get groomed every other day at the mo :wave:

ETA: no dental issues

Last edited:
I groom mine every day, though Mimah is purebred with a double mane. Roger is a cross but fluffy has heck!

Neither of my lionheads have dental problems.

I have had several lionhead crosses over the last 10 years. Only one was a dental bun. His litter brother had no dental problems.

Generally I don't groom them much - one every week or so - just to get the loose bits out so they don't ingest too much fur. Their fur varies so much, though. I had one that needed daily grooming all over. Generally I find the tufty bit between the ears looks neater for a quick comb, and the trouser area needs untangling more frequently in fluffier buns so they can keep themselves clean.

our lionhead never had any dental issues in the 4 years we had her:D
we brushed her mane every day as she was quite messy:oops::lol:

I get to groom Tilly but Cheeky won't entertain the thought :( Occasionally she will allow a head rub or a back scratch or I use food as a distraction. She's also a dental bun so on vet trips I have to remember to get everything done :D

I do mine every other day if I can, at least once a week when he looks really tatty. He's a cross anyway and he's not got any teeth problems (touch wood!)

I don't think that Lionheads are prone to dental issues. I have a lionhead x dwarf lop- Josie, and she needs her mane grooming a couple of times a week, but as buns can get hairballs particularly long haired buns, I also give Josie chunk of pinepple once a week, as the enzymes in pineapple help to prevent hairballs forming.

I have lots of lionheads and only a few of them have teeth problems.

I only groom when it is necessary. I don't like to pester animals too much.

Lionhead coats vary enormously. Some don't need any help with grooming apart from the removal of the odd tangle in thier mane, others need to be shaved every so often. A few are a real nightmare and need dematting every couple of weeks. Some are ok as long as you keep their bottoms trimmed.

It is the ones with the finest coats that matt the worst. Lionheads with coarse coats can stay nearly matt free even when they appear to be complete fluff balls.

Back