• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Honey's tail has disappeared! Help! U/D it's mites

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I was just watching honey from behind and noticed that her tail has almost disappeared! :( she must be pulling the fur out of it I guess, but why would she do this?? She's the picture of health otherwise! I want her lovely fluffy tail back asap! :(

Last edited:
No she's not spayed yet, thought they pulled fur from their chin for nest building though...? And she's not making a nest, just hardly any fluff left on her little tail! :(

Is she actually pulling the fur out - can you see it lying around?
Mite infestations can occur around the base of the tail, if she has this it may be irritating her and causing her to overgroom. Stress and boredom can cause overgrooming as well. I would pop her to the vets for a check over :wave:

She does seem to shed a lot of fur, more than olly, there's always some where she's been sitting. I've noticed the odd little clump here and there though as though she's pulled it out...

Could Olly be being a bit over zealous with grooming her, or over amorous and tugging the fur out of her tail as he chases her?

Just been to the vets with honey, he thinks it's fur mites so honey's had some ivermectin, she has to go back in 10 days if no better...

Back