• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fussy bunnies

lissad

New Kit
After receiving advise on this website I recently changed my bunnies onto hay after feeding them on the shop bought muesli because they had upset tummies, I've also been giving them fresh vegetables (brussel sprouts, cabbage) but they wont touch them! - is this normal or are my bunnies just fussy?:wave:

Last edited:
Hi, sorry i dont know your situation so lots of questions coming;

How old are they?
What breed/size are they?
Do they have Pellets/Nuggets?
Do they have unlimited hay?

Hi, sorry i dont know your situation so lots of questions coming;

How old are they?
What breed/size are they?
Do they have Pellets/Nuggets?
Do they have unlimited hay?

Hi, they are 2 and a half, sorry I dont know what breed but they are small rabbits, one is part lion head. I give them a few pellets which they dont seem keen on either but they do have unlimited hay now

Maybe they are not so keen on cabbage or sprouts. Mine don't care for sprouts. It's a bit trial and error with buns as to what veg they like.

An unending supply of hay is essential though.

My rabbit, Molly hates vegetables so some rabbits are just fussy. I never feed them any veg or fruit, so don't worry if you don't feed it. Mine are perfectly happy and healthy on hay and small amount of pellets.

Maybe they are not so keen on cabbage or sprouts. Mine don't care for sprouts. It's a bit trial and error with buns as to what veg they like.

An unending supply of hay is essential though.

I don't think any of mine have liked sprouts or the lighter coloured inside leaves fom savoy cabbages. :lol:

Spring Greens/ Cabbage tends to be the fave with mine plus bits of parsnip, carrot, turnip, sweet potato. It can work out quite expensive in large quantities but parsley can be a good one also. Basically I've found the darker the leaves the more they like it.

Neither of my 2 like sprouts or the lighter leaves from savoy cabbage either :roll:
They love fresh herbs though - mint, coriander, basil & dill are their favourites & spring greens go down very well too :D

mine will eat kale, carrots, apple but mostly herbs. parsley, corriander, dill, basil, sage etc.. each has his or her fave!! :love:

not one of mine past or present have liked sprouts or been keen on cabbage. :?

I think some rabbits are fussy feeders!
After reading on here how lots of bunnies love the fenugreek crunchies I dashed out to get some.. Not ONE of mine would touch them.. how ungrateful:lol:

Welcome to the world of fussy buns :lol: one of mine is extra fussy! when i first got him he would only have oat hay and spring greens.. if its there first time with new foods they may be a little worried about trying them i usally leave them in for the day to see if they come to like them! also have you gradually turned the musli into pellets? i.e 70 per cent musli and 30 per cent pellets then the next week 50 per cent musli so your cutting down slowly?

Also like people have already said.. the reason my bun was fussy turned out to be his teeth were overgrown when i got him, it would be best to start at the bottom and go get there teeth looked at just incase there not being fussy they just find it hard to eat, as rabbits are prey animals they dont show they are in pain, and then if there teeth are ok, try varying the diet try new things (in small amounts) Some bunnys like different types of hay aswell! some websites do sample packs so you can see which ones your bun likes .. animalmagic and hay experts website both have hay sample packs :wave:

Timmy has been with me since September and soon got into eating different veg etc. However his favourites are still cabbage and broccoli and he was completely horrified the other day when he had celery, green beans and two grapes (to hide baytril, he normally has banana for this but I had run out), he walked off in disgust. Soon came round though when he realised he was hungry!! Cruel mummy:evil:

My Spenser is very fussy.:roll: He likes curly kale best, but it is too high in calcium for regular feeding to bunnies. He will accept spring greens, and the very green outer leaves of a savoy cabbage. He used to like rocket and broccoli, but has gone off them. Parsley is also accepted, although it is also high in calcium. I'm trying him with small amount of other veg (peppers and celery this week) but so far he isi not impressed. Very occasionally he will accept carrot or apple. So, yes, some bunnies are indeed fussy.

Back