• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning buns in 15 minutes- outdoor hutches! Thankyou RU.

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Just thought I'd say thankyou to the people on RU who have helped me be more productive with my bunny care routine. You have saved me 30 minutes per day per hutch!

It now takes 15 minutes to clean a 6foot hutch. I have a litter tray at one end with megazorb and hay(no newspaper) and an underbed- 35 or 45l storage box of hay in the other end with megazorb and hay to the top (no newspaper) in the sleeping area. The rest of the area is lino- i don't put anything down on this anymore.

The buns appreciate being able to snuggle in the nest box of hay and it's easily emptied daily, compared to the entire hutch being bedded out with 6 inches of hay, which used to take me 45 minutes to empty, refresh, collect hay, bedding, and empty on the dumper truck.

Now it is so incredibly simple- leaving me 30 mins extra per day per pair for snuggles.

So thanks guys, the help has really enhanced my life and the life of my bunnies! Not to mention i have more time for any new residents x

It really is amazing the things you pick up to make your bunny cleaning routine easier. When i think back to when i first got Kermit, it took me ages to clean him out!

Oh that's brilliant. It's really helped me too. I used to have to get my Dad to do the cleaning but now it's easy enough (energy wise) for me to do myself. :thumb:

Aw wow... Help me!!!!!

What exactly is the set up like? What have you used for the nest box? This sounds perfect for the buns! Cleaning takes me forever and I'm sure they'd appreciate a constant bed and a nice little litter box! Would save my garden as well from being covered in wood shavings! And would save me a fortune in wood shavings whilst also making cleaning easier and not making the buns sit in wee and poop!

Meg xxxx

Aw wow... Help me!!!!!

What exactly is the set up like? What have you used for the nest box? This sounds perfect for the buns! Cleaning takes me forever and I'm sure they'd appreciate a constant bed and a nice little litter box! Would save my garden as well from being covered in wood shavings! And would save me a fortune in wood shavings whilst also making cleaning easier and not making the buns sit in wee and poop!

Meg xxxx

Hi Meg,

Well the hutches are 6ft long. So in the four foot that is open i have a litter tray on the left side in the corner. I put enough megazorb over just to cover the base, then add hay to the top. Then i leave the lino area totally free of bedding other than this.

In the sleeping compartment. I use a 35/45l storage box do the exact same thing- cover the base and then add hay upto the top. The buns can snuggle together in the box, showing me this is enough hay in there daily a a minimum as it's the same size as there body size.

I then sweep the droppings out that fall outside these two boxes and wipe round with a cloth and abit of clean and safe spray then dry with a towel.

All the buns seem to respond to this very well- they like the clear lino as a choice to sit on. I also add a small blanket to the sleeping area if necessary, outside the box.

The boxes and trays are refreshed once or twice daily- I check them twice regardless of if i change them. This whole process only takes 15 minutes in total per 6 foot hutch, which is a massive time saver on what i used to be doing.

Hope your doing well & the buns of course,
Jane xxx

:shock: That's another reason I don't ever want to have outdoor buns again. It only takes me 10-20 for 3 indoor cages, since I use newspaper that can just be pulled out and thrown away. Only sometimes I have to pick through hay to get the poop. I can't wait till I have bales of hay so I can just throw it out (the small bags of hay I get are $4 so I try not to waste much).

:shock: That's another reason I don't ever want to have outdoor buns again. It only takes me 10-20 for 3 indoor cages, since I use newspaper that can just be pulled out and thrown away. Only sometimes I have to pick through hay to get the poop. I can't wait till I have bales of hay so I can just throw it out (the small bags of hay I get are $4 so I try not to waste much).

Yes i get huge bales and at a good price so i can use what i like too. I used to pay £20 a bale, now it's about £4 or £6 - can't remember which. Regardless, it's a good price and i have a shed i can store it in. It's lovely and fresh when it comes from the farmers i find.

Actually me too - although now if I had outdoor bunnies I'd have a shed and litter tray so it wouldn't be that different from inside. Maybe I should say I'd never have a hutch again.

Changing both trays takes about 15-30 minutes - depending on if the trays need a clean round as I have several trays so rotate. Then I just fill up new trays (5 minutes), change them (er, 10 seconds :lol:), sweep up (5 minutes per room) and that's it. Then sometimes I'll mop the floor, sometimes I'll hoover their blankets and put them on to wash, sometimes I'll get the hoover out and get hard to reach places.

Back