• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam.. question

littleboots

Mama Doe
Sadie, my lop girl has had a dental and shes on baytril and metacam..
In the past ive given metacam as per the weight of the bunny on the syringe.. ie: draw to 3kg for a 3kg rabbit...
Have any of your vets changed the doseage??
Now I have to give 0.75ml..
How do you get that amount out of the metacam bottle without wasting loads.
Any tips greatly appreciated

In the past ive given metacam as per the weight of the bunny on the syringe.. ie: draw to 3kg for a 3kg rabbit...

yes....Ian told me to give more...I was like GULP!!!!
Will find thread

get a little bottle from the vets, those kind of browny ones with a white lid, then put some into that and use a syringe to get it out of there when needed. that's what i do anyway. :)

Have you got the little Metacam bottle ? if so just take the thin nozzle off the top of the bottle and put the syringe straight in the bottle that's how we do it.

We have it 0.35 mls per Kilo of rabbit.

:shock: Metacam is for dogs and the syringe with it is for dogs - it's not for rabbits - a 3 kilo bunny should have approx 1.8ml and that's a quite large amount. Actually just looking at the syringes it's about the same I think, I asked for a 2ml syringe it makes it easier to draw up from a teacup.

Last edited:
That's an odd one. I got some metacam last week and it was still in 'number = weight'. Did they explain why?

They just said.. doseages had changed... but trying to get 0.75mls out of that bottle is quite difficult... ive even put it on a spoon to syringe up.. but end up wasting some, which i hate!

We don't use the dog syringe we use a 1ml syringe

Yes I was given a 2ml syringe it made it much easier, the vet had given me the dose in ml but the syringe was in Kilo's I couldn't work it out at all and I was going in again so grabbed a 2ml syringe of them.

i use a 2ml syringe. :) bisc and matt used to have 0.8ml twice a day but have gone down slightly to 0.5ml and 0.7ml twice a day.

Another tip is to mash banana onto the metacam so use a saucer and underestimate when tipping it out of the bottle, check with the syringe and add more if necessary and then mash a teaspoon size of banana into the liquid and let bun lick it all up.

Bunnies are tolerant of metacam so a 4x higher dose can be given in accordance with pain etc.Hope the thread i sent you helps.xxxx

:shock: Metacam is for dogs and the syringe with it is for dogs - it's not for rabbits - a 3 kilo bunny should have approx 1.8ml and that's a quite large amount. Actually just looking at the syringes it's about the same I think, I asked for a 2ml syringe it makes it easier to draw up from a teacup.

The vets usually give me the cat one... which i think is less than the dog one: ie 0.5mg/ml as against 1.5mg/ml

Have you got the little Metacam bottle ? if so just take the thin nozzle off the top of the bottle and put the syringe straight in the bottle that's how we do it.

We have it 0.35 mls per Kilo of rabbit.

:oops::oops::oops:
Cant believe how stupid i feel.... i didnt think that spout came off the bottle.. never had to do this before.. have always been told to syringe to 1/2/3 etc.. so was a bit baffled.

They just said.. doseages had changed... but trying to get 0.75mls out of that bottle is quite difficult... ive even put it on a spoon to syringe up.. but end up wasting some, which i hate!

I don't like the smell of the stuff, I hate it if it gets everywhere!

Those little brown bottles are good. I usually have baytril in those with a 1ml syringe. The vets really should be able to supply you with those.

Did they still give you the cat one with the little syringe?

Maybe try measuring out 0.75ml of water into the normal syringe. Then put that in a small container, and use the metacam syringe to take that 0.75ml of water from the container and see where it somes to on the metacam syringe and mark it? A roundabout way of doing it but you won't waste any metacam trying it.

:oops::oops::oops:
Cant believe how stupid i feel.... i didnt think that spout came off the bottle.. never had to do this before.. have always been told to syringe to 1/2/3 etc.. so was a bit baffled.

Me too to be honest! The syringe is designed for the bottle so it's never occured to me that the top would come off! Lol

I don't like the smell of the stuff, I hate it if it gets everywhere!

Those little brown bottles are good. I usually have baytril in those with a 1ml syringe. The vets really should be able to supply you with those.

Did they still give you the cat one with the little syringe?

Maybe try measuring out 0.75ml of water into the normal syringe. Then put that in a small container, and use the metacam syringe to take that 0.75ml of water from the container and see where it somes to on the metacam syringe and mark it? A roundabout way of doing it but you won't waste any metacam trying it.

Thats what I did tonight after wasting loads on the spoon:roll:
Will ask tomorrow at the vets though, why the doseage has changed

Back