• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Massive sneezing fit...

esupi

Warren Veteran
Truffle just had the biggest sneezing fit. Really loud, squeaky sneezes like I've never heard before (I heard her from the next room) and repeating over and over really quickly. She was frantically cleaning her nose and flicking her front feet all the time too - probably lasted about a minute in total but was really scary!

Can they get things just 'up their nose' like we can? She seems a bit stressed out now but otherwise ok.

Yes they do get things up their noses, & that sounds the most likely reason for the sneezing you've descibed so well.
The common thing is a bit of short hay. I'd let her settle down plenty & then see what you can see up there.

Thanks! Good to know it's nothing really bad. Can't believe it's never happened to either of them before!

The problem is that it can be difficult to tell whether it's got stuck up high at the back, or come out. Unless a strand is poking out & you can get a firm grip, it's a vet's job to get it out.

If all seems clear it's just keeping an eye on her for a few weeks for nasal discharge - (clear or mucky) from 1 side, or recurrent sneezing fits = something's up there & HAS to come out.

I've got everything crossed that it's been sneezed out.
Let us know how it goes.

ok. Thanks. She seems totally normal today, but I will definitely keep an eye on her just in case.

Sounds good. :D
I'd have expected more sneezing & "snot" by now if there was a big problem.
Please don't worry about it, just keep a quiet eye on things.;)

I'm one of those people who try to do simple things to stop problems occurring, & should they happen, go to the vet early when it's much easier & faster to treat. It can come across as alarmist sometimes.

Back