• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to extend run height?

Alicia

Mama Doe
My run is too small for the rabbits. I have 2 runs, which belong to the guinea-pigs but they only really use one, so I've decided to take the other one for my rabbits. It is 6ft long, but it needs to be 6x2x4. I haven't measured the height but I know it's not big enough. My Mum doesn't want me to buy another run because she doesn't want to buy another run and leave one of the runs I've already got unused, so is there any way I can make it bigger?

Here is a photo of the run I could use:

run.jpg

Sorry about Billy sitting in the corner, he used to use this run but he uses the other run more now.

I'm getting a hutch which I can place in front of it where the door opens at the side so they can hop in and out, but I'd like to make the sides bigger so my future rabbits can jump around without banging their heads on the roof :lol:

No need to apologise for Billy! How about lifting it up on a line of breezeblocks or railway sleepers so that the whole thing sits on a kind of frame/support. Hope this makes sense.:?

How tall is the run?

the other thing you will need to consider is that the roof part of the run will need to be made secure.

If the run in the pic is 2ft high...could you not place the new run on top of the 6ft run you have....so presuming it would now make the run 4ft high.....then on the inside screw in 4ft beams where there is wood ...so at least three beams each side of the run..length ways to keep it sturdy.
Then also screw the actual runs beams together....so attaching the runs to each other themselves.

Hope this makes sense?

You would then still have the roof on 1 run left over to make any other additions.

You may want to make one section a door for access as 4ft is abit high to climb over.

not sure if this helps....can you add pics of both runs and the hutch it is to be attached to ?:D

I've spoken to Mum and she definetly won't let me get another run. I don't really see why she has a problem with me spending my own money on something but still. I'm going to have to try to extend this one, which I know probably won't be big enough and so after over a year of waiting I might not be able to get rabbits :(

Last edited:
Back