• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dominance Issues - still?

Rachie

Mama Doe
Okay, I've had my two together for nearly 2 years now.
They had a bit of a fall out at six months, before we moved house in 2009, but I think that was partly down to me disrupting them/the environment with my box packing efforts.

Every so often they have a bit of a to do and chase of each other. In fact they've just had one now and Ebbie had a chunk of Oliver's fur in her mouth. But then they've laid down and are snuggled up again?

Is this dominance issues or something else? Any advice? I don't want them falling out and living separately!

Hi

I think that most buns will have a little 'do' sometimes, I have 3 pairs now and each one of them has the odd chase or I find the odd bit of fur now and again.

As long as they are happy most of the time and they dont really do anything to hurt each other I dont think that you have anything to worry about.

Angela

My neutered pair have phases where they get on well, other phases where they wind each other up and do some chasing and fur pulling. These are my third pair of bunnies (2 other pairs deceased before they arrived) and the only ones who like to have lovers tiffs but are both naughty rexes who want to be the boss bun. I've noticed that with the fosters a bit of chasing here and there and fur pulling can happen.

I worry as well in case their bond breaks down but I now just make the most of when they are being nice to each other. As my pair have been together for around 2 years, hopefully they will have a long and happy bond together in the future :)

Last edited:
Okay, I've had my two together for nearly 2 years now.
They had a bit of a fall out at six months, before we moved house in 2009, but I think that was partly down to me disrupting them/the environment with my box packing efforts.

Every so often they have a bit of a to do and chase of each other. In fact they've just had one now and Ebbie had a chunk of Oliver's fur in her mouth. But then they've laid down and are snuggled up again?

Is this dominance issues or something else? Any advice? I don't want them falling out and living separately!

Hiya,
sounds like quite a problem what sex/gender are they? have any been neutered? I cant really answer this till I know this info?

I think it's possible to have the odd bit of minor chasing/fur pulling that is really just the buns realigning things.
Pretty sure that if it's only occasional & there is no escalation then you probably don't need to worry.
There are nuances in bun behaviour that we are not party to because we simply aren't aware of them & fail to recognise them because we don't 'speak bun' all that well!
I've seen many bun couples have the odd tiff that has not lead on to more sinister actions.

When I first had my two after they'd been bonded they were 'bonded' but it wasn't a close bond. We went on holiday about a month or so after we'd adopted them and they stayed at HolidayHutches - after they'd been in a hutch for a week their bond was so much closer. They groomed each other properly and snuggled up properly.

What's their current accommodation? Only keeping them in a smaller space for a short while might help? x

The other thing is that maybe it's a bit of a early Spring Fever - Hollie's been digging at *everything* - the Vetbed gets the worst of it but a large cardboard box on the yard has also born the brunt of her enthusiastic digging and trashing! Am sure it's the time of year. Jack just keeps looking at her then looking at me as if to say "I really don't understand her mummeh - but I go along with her digging the box game to keep her happy!"

ETA: This is only my experiences - am not very knowledgable but this is from my observation of my two. x

They're male/female and both neutered.

Hanlou: They are house buns and free range all the time. I'd have to set up a pen to reduce their accomodation size or maybe move them into one of the bathrooms.

It's like today, they've been fine but for a week or so they've been having the odd 'lovers tiff'

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for not coming back to it last night :)

Back