• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wound help- underlining immune problem causing it?

Starlight

Warren Veteran
As many know, Isabel had an internal reaction to her spay stitches, and had to go in and have a large lump under the skin removed. This was not ideal, as when she comes round from anaesthetic, she gets a bit of pus come down her nose. This has happened both times she came round from a GA.

It has been just over a week and the lump is back. It was slightly bigger, and angrier looking.

Went to the vet who believe she may have an underlining immune problem?
They have decided this time, as the lump is all just under the skin and the abdomen wall is all intact, to treat it as an open wound.

I have to squeeze any pus from her daily, and syringe/clean the wound out with dilute hibiscrub.

The antibiotic I now have for her is a "capsule" kind called Antirobe 25mg :?

I was also given the option of a c+s swab as well, but came home with abx in the view that I am back at the vets in the morning, and can get a swab done then if this is seen the better option (Which I am starting to think is.)

Anyone have any experience in this situation, or had a rabbit similar who reacted to operations like this?!

we have had rabbits have an allergic reaction to stitches/glue.

Most go down with abx and anti inflamatory drugs ...but once or twice we have had to have them re operated on ....second time round vet used different way of closing the wound and they were fine but still had abx as precaution if i remember right :?

Back