• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rain Soaking Inside the Hutch

DeevDee

Young Bun
My buns are in a 2 level hutch. The bottom is pretty open apart from some tarp we put down one side to keep out the wind. The back of the hutch backs onto a concrete wall which is in a sheltered part of the garden. We've had a lot of rain recently and the bottom is getting quite wet. The buns seem to be spending more time upstairs in the bed bit and I'm worried it's because their downstairs is damp.
What should I do? I can't keep them covered completely in tarp, they want to see out! Maybe I'm over worrying and they actually don't mind a bit of rain? (I've only had them for a few weeks so I'm still learning!)

Personally I wouldn't like my buns to sit in damp/ wet patches as it can be hard to dry themselves in this weather...especially when its a thick part of their fur that is getting damp...its the damp and the wet that rabbits can't handle.

You could raise the hutch off of the ground and create a base for the underpart...all you would need to do it lay down a layer of bricks, place a thick sheed of plywood (treated) on top and then place the hutch on top of that...the rain will go under the bricks and the ply will act as a base for the bottom level.

Or you could put rubber matting down and place lino on top...the rain water should seep underneath the lino as the rubber matting will raise it from the ground just enough.

Hope that makes sense! :)

Thanks!

Thanks for the link Tracy. That should definitely help.
I actually follow your blog and have from that first day we got the buns, it's fab!

Thanks Cloughie

We've already done all those things. It's just the hay and newspaper that's getting damp and I definitely don't want them being damp and miserable. I'll have to get some clear tarp type stuff for the front when it's raining.

Back