• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving outside - temps

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Right, my two are in the conservatory currently and have been scince November. I've just checked with metweather and it won't get to below 2 degrees here at night this week and up to about 11 max during the day this week. It is only one day this week that's going to be 2 degrees Otherwise it's about 8/9 at night.
How long should I wait to see if the weather stays the same? Another week or 2?

Tis too early for their summer move.
Looking at the charts the cold's due to return next week, not quite to the same extent as before christmas as it looks to being 'budged' out the way. I use 'Netweather' ...and am just learning. They have the usual local/10 day/snowrisk predictions forecast. The Snow risk chart's good as it gives and explains the variable factors required for snow fall . Also some GFS charts which go as far as to predict those same variables at three hourly intervals.
oh...and not to mention Micheal Fish!! He gives a video run down usually on a Thursday.

I was put on to this site by a meteorological friend 'cos I was fed up with the scare-mongering of my work mates :'it's going to snow'....yes, on HIGH GROUND! So I chose to find out for myself. Not quite sure about the interaction of high/lows yet against each other.

It's fair to say that weather prediction is not an exact science, even after a couple of days/ hours. Soz if this is long-winded but as you already look at weather sites I thought I'd recommend this one. (A simple 'no' may have sufficed!!:lol::lol:)

Also, my buns live in a shed/cage/run thing, have been out all winter...even in the sub zero temps they seem to like the 'outside'!:D

Thankyou :) I'm opening doors and windows in the conservatory everyday (it's not raining) so once it stays at over 2 degrees every night for 2 weeks I'll think about moving them outside again :)

:wave: Im moving my buns out on 26th February, its the day my puppy arrives so no doubt the buns will be glad to get out of the conservatory & away from a hyper pup! :lol:

Alfie and Bubbles were indoors for a good few wks from the middle of Feb onwards last year.

I put them back outside sometime in April and would be very wary of putting them back out any earlier than that tbh - it's not even the middle of Jan yet and Feb/March can get extremely cold.

Alfie and Bubbles were indoors for a good few wks from the middle of Feb onwards last year.

I put them back outside sometime in April and would be very wary of putting them back out any earlier than that tbh - it's not even the middle of Jan yet and Feb/March can get extremely cold.

My buns have been in an unheated conservatory this winter, the temp difference isnt as extreme & both have very thick winter coats. Georgey is your conservatory heated at all?

Both of my buns are itching to go outside, poor things are fed up being indoors....cant wait to see them running about daft in the summer, seems like a lifetime ago! :love:

My 2 are in an unheated conservatory yes :) they do have a nice winter coat but are starting to moult because it's getting warm in there now whichis why I'm wondering if I should put them outside soon :/
tnjt - when are you putting yours outside?

Got the dates wrong, it's week after (25/26) when we may get a spell of near freezing temps. It's too far off to be certain. Tried going on the GFS maps but they're being updated so went on the 'at a glance' ones and the temps for the next week or so look mild. But I'm just learning ...:p

ps: I also use Met Office site and the Beeb....steer clear of the papers they're full of sensationalisation. :)

Last edited:

I fully agree. One weak of relatively mild weather doesn't mean Spring is on its way?? I don't give a monkey's about weather forecasts - it's *Winter* and temperatures could drop at any time. :?

:wave: I wouldn't advise moving any bunnies outside until spring. Even if they are in an unheated conservatory, they are not exposed to the extremes in temperature nor the wind chill factor & damp air that outdoor buns experience over the winter.

Very good points, how about this on fine days (nice weather, sunshine, no rain ect) they get to go in thier hutch and run during the day then back inside over night?

Back