• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio or Quad? (or 2x pairs)

Two Pairs, Trio or Quad?

• Total voters

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
If you already had a pair, and wanted to add to it...

Which would you go for, and why?

Poll to come...

Purely hypothetical (at the moment...)

:wave:

I have a trio and it's ideal for me. :)
If it hadn't worked I'd have tried adding another and bonding as a quad, and if that failed then I'd split in to two pairs. Both those scenarios would have been far from ideal though.

I voted quad as that's what we are aiming for with our two pairs.

Less work for Mummeh, and hopefully happier rabbits with more friends!

Hypothetical eh? Yeah, yeah. ;)

I dunno. I've had all three of those options.

I think the only issue for me with a trio and quad is keeping an eye on what they're eating and what they're pooing and possibly in a trio one getting pushed out. And the issue with two pairs is referred aggression and the need for two big areas rather than the one.

I would probably go for a trio of those three options myself.

I don't know. We have thought - many times - about adding a third bun' to our pair but we always worry that it would spoil the bond our two have.

There is always the money issue but it isn't really the thing that stops us getting a third as we cope fine and have no debts etc. It is definitely the bonding worry that concerns both of us! We have plenty of space and time.

So will watch this thread with interest. :) xx

Hypothetical eh? Yeah, yeah. ;)

I dunno. I've had all three of those options.

I think the only issue for me with a trio and quad is keeping an eye on what they're eating and what they're pooing and possibly in a trio one getting pushed out. And the issue with two pairs is referred aggression and the need for two big areas rather than the one.

I would probably go for a trio of those three options myself.

It is, purely hypothetical. Just thinking about the future (maybe a while, a long while).

In a Trio, i'd be concerned a bun would be left out? Especially when being introduced to a well established pair?

Terri got me thinking - as she said she wanted Sky-O's Hay Monster when she saw him and i said no for now :?

It is, purely hypothetical. Just thinking about the future (maybe a while, a long while).

In a Trio, i'd be concerned a bun would be left out? Especially when being introduced to a well established pair?

Terri got me thinking - as she said she wanted Sky-O's Hay Monster when she saw him and i said no for now :?

When I bonded Nutmeg to the lops it was a tough bond cos Nutmeg is so flighty. I also didn't know that much about bonding then. It took a while until she would sit with them without zooming up the other end of the sofa. Then she was happy with them no chasing but not fully integrated. I do think that with time the bond would've grown stronger but I panicked. :oops:

i like the idea of a trio for 1 reason, if one dies the other two still have each other for comfort. its awful seeing the one left behind and what if something prevents immediate bonding then the poor bunny left behind will get lonely :cry:

im actually terrified of a bunny death now im so far from Hopper Haven, who will find Alvin or Holly a partner for me now should the worst happen :( :(

oops sorry that wasnt the question, ive gone off on one there :lol:

I think this will really depend on the personalities involved, same as with bonding a pair.
It was a big worry of mine that Eli would end up left out but I think they actually work better as a trio than my girls did as a pair.

I agree with donnamt that the main thing I really think benefits the bunnies about a trio or group is that they will never be left alone.
I was reading a thread recently about someone who knew one of their bunnies was off to the bridge soon and I couldn't imagine how hard that must be.

I wouldn't touch either of my pairs- they need to be pairs. The Dopeys and Lightning could become a quad with the right bunny, but The Swarming would not be a smart trio to make into a quad. My lops could keep accepting the right bunny from here to eternity I think.

Gray, if you want Hay Monster, I can amybe bond him with that giant Starksy and send them your way :D :wave:

I wouldn't touch either of my pairs- they need to be pairs. The Dopeys and Lightning could become a quad with the right bunny, but The Swarming would not be a smart trio to make into a quad. My lops could keep accepting the right bunny from here to eternity I think.

Gray, if you want Hay Monster, I can amybe bond him with that giant Starksy and send them your way :D :wave:

Hey you, stop it :lol:

I think i'd love B&G to stay as a pair, as they just 'fit' together so perfectly and compliment each other.

Although i love having house bunnies, i think i'd love to have a pair or more outside also, just to see the difference in behaviour and how they work.

And then i'd worry about referred behaviour etc. :?

Two pairs or a quad, two's company three is a crowd, I've tried a trio and never again, the bucks weren't happy at all and I'm sure if I tried my two doe's and one buck the outcome would be the same - they are much better in pairs, I was really disappointed but, realised within a couple of hours if I forced it then one bun would end up left out, the boys were never going to be submissive to each other and one would have needed to I think. They weren't happy bunnies sharing their doe.

I didn't see you mention that. They may go through a period of unsettlement, but it might just be that initial smell and they would get used to it. It would be very minimal though because of the distance away from each other. You would be the factor as opposed to the presence of the other bunnies, which is slightly different from some of the more severe problems with referred aggression.

As i have pairs and trios at the moment. I would say the trios are best.

I did a mini bonding session to try make a quad, but each pair just ran away from the others.

They didn't fight though, which is good. I'd say it's easier to add a fourth to a trio than to an existing pair also.

Two is my maximum so I can't answer. But there are a wide range of groups on here so im sure any combination can work :)

I would like a trio, then if one dies the other has company. I know once I have 3 that I would then want a quad.

I also would like a trio as I miss having a nethie about the house.

Back