• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Miscanthus

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
Does anyone use miscanthus in their rabbits litter trays? I use woodshavings at the moment - just a little in their litter trays and also in my chickens nest boxes but it dosnt compost down very quickly.
Does anybody have any opinions on using miscanthus? Do they try and eat it as it looks like it has a straw like consistancy. (Only seen it through a bag and havnt felt it yet).

Miscanthus is a group of decorative grasses - commonly used in gardens for their leaf colour or decorative seed / flower heads.

I have used the old , dry stems from an Autumn garden clear up. I put them under hay in the nest area, just to bulk up and provide extra insulation this winter.

It is a bit like straw as the stems are usually quite tall, thick and tough. I don't know if it is OK for buns to eat - but it is basically a fancy grass.

You can now buy it at agricultural merchants. It is advertised as a bedding for horses and small pets. I think it is chopped up and bagged. Just wondered if anyone had bought the bedding and what they thought of it. :)

Back