• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Exercise

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser isn't getting much. :( It's partly the weather of course, but sometimes even when I bring him in he is apt to adopt 'fur puddle' pose in such inconvenient locations as under the couch. He does, though, sometimes jump up on the couch, so at least that's something. Last night every time I went out to the hutch he was sat in the same position. He's had a recent vet check, and the vet said he had good muscle. Anyone else got a bun in semi-hibernation mode?

What times are your bringing him in/out for a 'run' Susie?

Usually afternoon - he is certainly not a morning rabbit, although sometimes he will take a quick scamper round the run before retiring to his fleece blanket for his morning doze. Evenings are not very practical, and I think that is whenhe gets most bored. Of course he is a single bun, but there's no way that can change until he is neutered in the spring and I would need to enlarge his hutch. If he was easier to handle I could have him in more - lets hope I can build on Yesterday's cuddle.

Usually afternoon - he is certainly not a morning rabbit, although sometimes he will take a quick scamper round the run before retiring to his fleece blanket for his morning doze. Evenings are not very practical, and I think that is whenhe gets most bored. Of course he is a single bun, but there's no way that can change until he is neutered in the spring and I would need to enlarge his hutch. If he was easier to handle I could have him in more - lets hope I can build on Yesterday's cuddle.

I think the only thing here is, perhaps he doesnt *want* excercise at the times you are letting him out.

As i think you know, bunnys are crepuscular, so they are most active at Dusk & Dawn. Lots of bunnies just 'snooze' or muddle about between 10am and 4pm and then become more active then, so perhaps he just doesn't want to run around?

Also, in addition to What Gray has said, many bunnies do 'hunker down' and become less active in the cold. I presume its instinct and is to preserve their energy and help them stay warm.

Plus if its warmer where you're bringing him, then its probably a rather lovely place to sleep.

Honey's a bit like that, even though I leave her hutch open I'm sure she doesn't venture out (if she does its when I'm not looking :lol:). So now I actually take her out at feeding time and put her at the other end of the yard so that she has to at least hop back 7 or so metres to get inside the hutch again, just so that I know that she's been out for a bit of fresh air.

Also, in addition to What Gray has said, many bunnies do 'hunker down' and become less active in the cold. I presume its instinct and is to preserve their energy and help them stay warm.

Plus if its warmer where you're bringing him, then its probably a rather lovely place to sleep.

Yes, I did wonder about that - it's just that I read about the amount of exercise bunnies are supposed to get, isn't it 4-6 hours? I suppose washing count as exercise - it looks a bit like bunny yoga.

I guess maybe try to look at it a slightly different way. Imagine if someone woke you up in the middle of the night and wanted you to exercise then. Would you want to? Or would you want to go back to sleep?

You would be most likely to want to exercise when your natural body clock tells you its time, which, for bunnies, is around dawn and dusk and the odd other time during the day, as opposed to when you want them to, or when you give them the opportunity to.

Yes, I really need to improve Spenser's set-up so that he can hop about when I'm not there to see he doesn't escape or pull bits of the bush with jaggy leaves into his run to nom on. Picking my moment to negotiate for a more stable covered run.

My guys seem to be less active at the moment..... and they put on 100g over the winter, lazy sods. They seem to be nomming more hay, exercisng less..... hahaha!

Back