• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Benefits of carpet???

redd1800

Warren Scout
I've seen so many threads that have mentioned carpet in bunny set ups, just wondering what the pros and cons are.

My boys are in an outdoor hutch with a run attached.

we have some carpet down, duke loves to lie down and sleep on it and it also gives him good grip to run about and binky. duke and libby also like to dig it :D

just have to watch they dont eat too much for their tummys (duke and libby dont seem to eat it at all tho)

It's confortable for them and easy for them to walk on (lino etc can be slippy).

It's not easy to clean though and if your bunnies aren't very good with their litter training it will become dirty quickly. Plus they can pull it up and destroy it.

Carpet can cause sore hocks...I think this is when they're on it 24/7 though and if they're a breed prone to sore hocks such as Rexes.

I have carpet mats in the playhouse and run they're great for providing a warm surface to sit on and moping up the water that drips from the water bottles :lol:.

If the mats become to dirty I just chuck them away and buy new ones, my local capet shop sells a range of different sized ones for 50p to £1 :) luckily my buns have never chewed up the mats :)

Last edited:
I have carpet in part of Peggy and Sue's hutch as that is what they were used to at BARC. It works really well. I put it in Furby and Faye's hutch and it was a nightmare. They just used it to mess on. It must be Faye as Furby on his own was fine. I have now given up and taken it out and put newspaper down which is easier to clean. The carpet just soaked the urine up and it was disgusting.

I think it depends on how well litter trained the bun(s) are.

Back