• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bun advice needed *NEW QUESTION* pg2

lydz

Alpha Buck
My new bun Cara arrived last night:love: I have given her a large bowl of water (as this is what Gracey uses), however, in her previous home she used a bottle. This morning I can't really tell if the water bowl has gone down. Should I buy a bottle? Or will she eventually realise that the water bowl if for drinking?

Last edited:
I would give her the option of a bowl and a bottle... :wave:

Im sure she will figure out that the bowl of water is for drinking because my lot use bottles but drink out of puddles :roll: :lol:

But just to make sure shes drinking i'd give her the option which one she prefers to use :)

I think I'd get her a bottle, and offer both. Spenser had a bottle in his previous home but it soon became clear to me that in so far as he drinks at all, he prefers a bowl. If you are going to bond your lovely addition with Grace you could offer both bottle and bowl and whoever is not the dominant bun might copy.

Most bunnies prefer a bowl, as its more natural to drink that way :wave:

I used to have a water bottle over the bowl for Ginger, she soon realised the water bowl was for drinking, not just washing your feet in :lol:

Thanks for the advice i'll buy her a bottle today. Putting it over the bowl is a good idea - also avoids the dreaded drips :lol:

You can also sit at a distance and watch her to see if she is drinking or not. Which, if you see her drink, will put your mind at rest for sure.

You can also sit at a distance and watch her to see if she is drinking or not. Which, if you see her drink, will put your mind at rest for sure.

I've been with her all morning (moved my textbooks into kitchen so I can sit with her) but shes far too busy being nosey to stop and drink. Im pretty sure the water has not gone down in the bowl since last night.

Do you know if she drinks much normally? I took Spenser to the vet after his first week with me, convinced he must be dehydrated - he wasn't, just a bunny that doesn't drink much. He seems to get all the water he needs from his veg.

Do you know if she drinks much normally? I took Spenser to the vet after his first week with me, convinced he must be dehydrated - he wasn't, just a bunny that doesn't drink much. He seems to get all the water he needs from his veg.

Good point i will find out :)

I have witnessed a small drink from the bowl :) which is good news.

I now have a new question:

Grace is very curious about Cara I have so far kept door closed but I can see Graces little paws against the glass. Would it be ok to let her in the kitchen (with Cara closed in her dog crate) just so she can have a sniff? Or is it too soon and will it upset Cara? Also Cara is not vaccinated yet.

I have witnessed a small drink from the bowl :) which is good news.

I now have a new question:

Grace is very curious about Cara I have so far kept door closed but I can see Graces little paws against the glass. Would it be ok to let her in the kitchen (with Cara closed in her dog crate) just so she can have a sniff? Or is it too soon and will it upset Cara? Also Cara is not vaccinated yet.

I would personally keep them seperate for the moment, just to let Cara get settled in :) It's what I've read from similar posts aswell which have recieved that advice :)
Grace will be curious as it is her home but I think Cara will still need settling in time :)
Would leave it a few days :D

Thank you! This is what I was thinking. Im just so excited, but it would definitely be rushing!

Hi Lydz,

I have seen the pics on your other thread. Your not going to call her Biggles then :lol: I must admit I was calling her Cara before she left.

Re the water, she had a bowl with me but when she went in her travelling hutch she had a bottle which she used. Obviously I don't know how much water she was drinking out of the bowl as there were three of them, but one thing to consider is that we have very soft water here and it might be that she is getting used to a different taste.

She looks very happy:D

Steph

Hi Lydz,

I have seen the pics on your other thread. Your not going to call her Biggles then :lol: I must admit I was calling her Cara before she left.

Re the water, she had a bowl with me but when she went in her travelling hutch she had a bottle which she used. Obviously I don't know how much water she was drinking out of the bowl as there were three of them, but one thing to consider is that we have very soft water here and it might be that she is getting used to a different taste.

She looks very happy:D

Steph

Nope im trying out Cara :) Although i have accidently called her Biggles a few times :lol:

Oh thanks for letting me know about the bowl/bottle situation i just saw bottle at your mums. Ive been keeping an eye on her and so far she hasnt had much to drink at all, but is really enjoying her carrot tops, so i assume shes getting some water from them.

I think shes settling in well - definitely pooping well and exploring lots :D

Back