• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you who used 'bagged' pet shop hay...

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
...what have you found to be the most loved brand?

B&G don't have expensive hay (treat hay) as at the moment, i genuinely can't afford it, but their 'everyday' hay is packaged by 'Fab Creations UK Ltd' and tagged as 'Fab Meadow Hay'.

It's so lovely and green and very long and stalky, which is B&G's favourite and they eat it like its going out of fashion.

Just curious more than anything else. Next month shuold be a better month for us, financially, so i may spend a little of my slight payrise on buying them a treat :)

Just curious, cheers guys and gals :)

For some reason Milly absolutely loves the bagged hay from The Range! We always try to find the greenest and sweetest smelling one. As soon as the bag is open she is trying to get into it, she eats so fast I worry she's going to do herself a mischief!

I ran out of hay a few weeks ago :oops: and had to grab a small bag from Asda which was not well received, I'm also wondering if that may have triggered the tummy trouble she had around that time.

I've been looking at getting her some treat hay as well though so it will be interesting to see what people recommend! :wave:

Am liking the new siggy by the way, very cute! :)

Mine get and love Burns Welsh Meadow Hay. I'm happy with it as I know Burns is a good company. As a treat, they get the Burns Green Oat.

Jollys meadow hay. . How much hay do i put in a day? George as it in the litter tray i also put some in his cage. Do i need to put fresh hay in even thou he doesn't eat it all? X

Mine won't touch any of this stuff. But then it is more expensive than bale stuff, so that does work out ok for me. :lol:

With hay in general, they tend to eat it when it smells fresh, so I? think its worthwhile giving more even if they haven't eaten everything available forthem. mine get fresh hay twice a day (or more if I'm pushing it) and they don't even get close to eating all they have available.

Mine won't touch any of this stuff. But then it is more expensive than bale stuff, so that does work out ok for me. :lol:

With hay in general, they tend to eat it when it smells fresh, so I? think its worthwhile giving more even if they haven't eaten everything available forthem. mine get fresh hay twice a day (or more if I'm pushing it) and they don't even get close to eating all they have available.

I'd love bale stuff - but nowhere to store it :(

I pay £4.50 for a bag that lasts me ~2 weeks, its compressed meadow hay, but is NOT dust extracted :?

I top up their hay 3 times a day and they do generally eat most of it, except the 'stringy' bits which Ginger plays with and Biscuit ends up with on his head most of the time :roll:

Do they eat the hay in the Foragey stuff B&G had Sky?

Mine won't touch any of this stuff.

Alfie and Bubbles won't either. :roll: But they have baled hay too, so it's much cheaper than buying bagged. It was a nightmare when I had trouble getting hold of a bale last Summer though - I spent a fortune on various pet shop hays and they wouldn't go near them. :roll:

They seem to prefer it 'fresh' - I half fill the litter trays and then top them up 2 or 3 times a day as they seem to eat far more this way than if I just fill the litter tray once a day.

Having said that, they seem more keen on the old weed on hay after it's been taken out of their kennel and left to one side to be thrown away. :mrgreen:

I bought 2 bags of hay from Asda for their trays because it looked green, it's going down very well so I'm off to look for more, if they have any, think is was £1.92 a bag of 1.5kg (think off top off my head).
I jus love buying different types of hay. :roll::lol:

I'd love bale stuff - but nowhere to store it :(

Sometimes the places that sell bales will also sell it in smaller bags - the farm shop I use does this. :D

It works out dearer than buying by the bale, but it still seems nicer then the pre-bagged pet shop hay as it's not sitting on the shelf for long - it tends to be bagged up once a week or so.

Alfie and Bubbles won't either. :roll: But they have baled hay too, so it's much cheaper than buying bagged. It was a nightmare when I had trouble getting hold of a bale last Summer though - I spent a fortune on various pet shop hays and they wouldn't go near them. :roll:

They seem to prefer it 'fresh' - I half fill the litter trays and then top them up 2 or 3 times a day as they seem to eat far more this way than if I just fill the litter tray once a day.

Having said that, they seem more keen on the old weed on hay after it's been taken out of their kennel and left to one side to be thrown away. :mrgreen:

:lol: Mine too! ALWAYS!

I bought 2 bags of hay from Asda for their trays because it looked green, it's going down very well so I'm off to look for more, if they have any, think is was £1.92 a bag of 1.5kg (think off top off my head).
I jus love buying different types of hay. :roll::lol:

Thats the 'Bob Martin' stuff :)

B&G started off on that, but i found i got through it too quickly for the cost and was doing ~£30/mo on hay. Now i do ~£10/mo on hay, much better :lol:

The place I go sells bags of it too. They always look at me funny when I go to the counter with rabbit food and ask for a bale of hay.

'A bag of hay?'
'No, a bale of hay'
'Oh'.

Bunsk loves Excel with marigold. Quide pricey though.. £4 something :?

I'd never seen Honey eat hay until this winter and she seems to love the Marigold and Dandilion from Burgess. Is pricey, but if she eats it, it makes it worth it. I also bought some Oxbow Oat hay from Hayexperts and while I haven't seen her eat it I think she may have tasted it :lol:

I'm embarrased to say that my four's favourite hay, of all time, ever, is.....

Tesco Value Meadow Hay Bedding. :oops::oops:

We bought a bag as an emergency a few months back, and they demolished it!! Tibbs sat in the litter tray eating for 2 hours non-stop.
I still get other treat hay (Timothy/Oat/Herbal), but they definitely don't like it as much.

Bunnies are pains and just do not know what's good for them!

I'm embarrased to say that my four's favourite hay, of all time, ever, is.....

Tesco Value Meadow Hay Bedding. :oops::oops:

We bought a bag as an emergency a few months back, and they demolished it!! Tibbs sat in the litter tray eating for 2 hours non-stop.
I still get other treat hay (Timothy/Oat/Herbal), but they definitely don't like it as much.

Bunnies are pains and just do not know what's good for them!

I bought that - its nearly brown down here :shock:

B&G ignored it, totally and went on hunger strike until i took it out and replaced it with better stuff... Bob Martin and Asda to the rescue!

I bought that - its nearly brown down here :shock:

B&G ignored it, totally and went on hunger strike until i took it out and replaced it with better stuff... Bob Martin and Asda to the rescue!

The bag I got is a mixture of long green and pale gold hay, with a few brown bits in it.
I know it's not ideal, but I've honestly never seen them eat anything else with such gusto. :roll:

They would probably eat the same volume of oat hay, but I was led to believe it's not advisable as the only hay fed (plus its blooming expensive!).

Back