• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not sure baby buns should be eating this but hey...

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
Pumpkins babies are now 3 weeks old, today :) They're pretty cute and very active at the moment. (See Rabbits in need for pics :p)
Anyway, I didn't want to stop giving Pumpkin her greens as she needs everything she can get with those 5 running about! Soooo... I always pop in pellets for free feeding (keep the bowl topped up all day, every day) Pumpkin always knows when to stop as she's always been free fed and I think she needs it there constantly to keep her going. Anyway, I also pop in some spring greens, some broccoli, cauliflower and some chopped up carrots. This was fine as Pumpkin was munching away on it all and her energy levels were fab.
Now... the babies are eating it all too!!!! I popped it all in for Pumples a few days ago and they started munching on everything! I've had to put an extra bowl in, out the way so that Pumpkin can eat in peace, otherwise, they all barge in and she gets pushed out the way :(
Babies eh... Same in the human world as in the animal kingdom! Always pinching mummies food!! :D

Pumpkins babies are now 3 weeks old, today :) They're pretty cute and very active at the moment. (See Rabbits in need for pics :p)
Anyway, I didn't want to stop giving Pumpkin her greens as she needs everything she can get with those 5 running about! Soooo... I always pop in pellets for free feeding (keep the bowl topped up all day, every day) Pumpkin always knows when to stop as she's always been free fed and I think she needs it there constantly to keep her going. Anyway, I also pop in some spring greens, some broccoli, cauliflower and some chopped up carrots. This was fine as Pumpkin was munching away on it all and her energy levels were fab.
Now... the babies are eating it all too!!!! I popped it all in for Pumples a few days ago and they started munching on everything! I've had to put an extra bowl in, out the way so that Pumpkin can eat in peace, otherwise, they all barge in and she gets pushed out the way :(
Babies eh... Same in the human world as in the animal kingdom! Always pinching mummies food!! :D

I'd be *very* careful. Knowing bunny tummys are very delicate and at a young age the gut is still developing. Watch the babys for runny poops :wave:

It must be difficult however, as babys are with mum and mum needs the extra food etc :?

I'd be *very* careful. Knowing bunny tummys are very delicate and at a young age the gut is still developing. Watch the babys for runny poops :wave:

It must be difficult however, as babys are with mum and mum needs the extra food etc :?

I did read that so did want to be careful but I can't feed mum seperately :( She won't eat outside the hutch and the babies freak out when she's allowed to have a quick hop about the kitchen to stretch her legs.
Have been looking out for poops and checking them every single day and have only found nice round normal ones :D Little and large!!!!
I didn't stop on the greens whilst she was pregnant or when she had the babies so I suppose they may be ok with it. They seem to love it anyway!
Am keeping a major eye on them but they're right little chunks! Lol. Very alert, very awake and like to bug mum alot! They've even moved out the nest now and sleep just behind Pumpkins bum! It's soooo lovely!
As much as I've loved seeing them grow up... I don't think I can ever let an accident like that happen again. I've been a nervous wreck for weeks and weeks now!!!! Don't know how breeders cope...

As long as mum has veg regularly the babies will wean themselves on to it gradually as they gradually eat more solids. Its not usually an issue unless its a one off or babies are suddenly given greens at 6/8 weeks+

As long as mum has veg regularly the babies will wean themselves on to it gradually as they gradually eat more solids. Its not usually an issue unless its a one off or babies are suddenly given greens at 6/8 weeks+

Thanks Tamsin :) Mum always has greens and babies started eating it a few days ago so I pressume they'll be fine then?
That makes things much better as when they leave me, they'll be ok on greens for their new owner :)

Interesting, thanks for that Tamsin :)

Odd to see you about so early in the day!

hi, i have 7 week old baby rabbits and 11 week old and iv been brought up around baby buns so i can tell you in my experience its fine, mine came out at 3-4 weeks and they try greens and seed and start to try water out the bottle, its all part of development so they get used to not having mums milk when they leave at 8 weeks, also there bellies are used to green and other foods which can help there delicate stomach not get things like the bloat as they have no big shocks to the system they have already gradually got used to it :)

That's what I was going to say. :thumb: Alfie was already eating greens by the time I got him as he'd been fed on them at the breeder's. :D

It's more of a problem if you don't know what a baby bunny has already been fed on, so in those cases it's best to wait till they're older.

I totally agree. The milk from mum provides them with some immunity to the greens.

Back