• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My baby bunnys, can someone help me with identifying there breed!!

nicoleferniex

Warren Scout
Hi, i got my baby bunnys ages 8 weeks old, i have now had them for 4 weeks. as it is my 1st time having a rabbit i am unsure of the breed they are, so am asking for help lol .
There are both from the same litter and are boy + girl .. they are due to go in and be neutered at the beginning of feb, they are such lovely natured bunnys, i wasnt sure as i had read before i got them that rabbits can be very unsociable but with the right care and love they have became really friendly and great little characters, below are some photos of my little ones .. thanks for the help i may get on this post xxx

nicoleferniex

Zak%20and%20Ziggy%20xx

http://s795.photobucket.com/albums/...99076628_100000735981263_449939_5956269_n.jpg

:wave: Hi, welcome to RU, they look like they could be either dwarf lops or mini lops, hard to say for sure...time will tell with their size, (mini lops are the smallest)....very cute!
My bunnies are VERY sociable, they're a sociable animal, love company and attention, however, some bunnies don't like to be picked up and that is natural as they are prey animals, certainly doesn't make them unsociable, they'll soon come and eat from your hand :D

my buns are already eating out my hand, giving me kisses etc.. i am slightly worried about the male(Zak) as he isnt growing as much as the female(Ziggy) .. they are now 12 weeks and havent grown much since i got them .. could this be because of there breed or could something be wrong?

Ahh! They are gorgeous!

I hope the neutering goes well. I presume its the little boy being done first, they don't usually do the girls till 6 months, have you been advised that he may still be fertile for 6 weeks or more after the neuter?

You may not notice greatly, they're still small yet.
You could weigh them now and keep checking they're putting on weight, if you're still concerned and they're not gaining weight you could pay a visit to the vet. :D

What are they fed on?

My little boy was smaller than his sister until recently, they were 2 in September, he seems to have caught up now.

I would weigh them regularly and ask the vet to give them a good check over. Have you had them vaccinated yet - the vet usually gives a check up then and makes note of their weights.

at the moment they are being fed on a fruit mix from the pet shop , but i found out that these are actually bad for the bunnys and that could be why Zak isnt growing so going to put them on junior pellets altho not sure about introducing that either :S.. i am completely clueless about this (which is why i joined)..

They are both being neutered at the same time (4months) vet has said all should be ok, but may wait off and get male done 1st.. going to seperate them when the neutering is done just to be on the safe side for the following weeks after it but will make sure they can still interact with eachother by putting both cages side by side..

they havent had there vaccinations yet no, will get the vet to do these when they go for a visit..

Oh that's great that your vet will neuter both at the same time, it saves a lot of trouble. Yes a good idea to keep them close I'm sure and get them back together asap.

Take a look around the site maybe using the search option and you will find lots of advice re diet. Pellets (hight fibre ones) are an excellent choice but hay is the most important part of the diet - it should make up about 90% of their entire intake, the rest being pellets and veg etc. Basically make changes extremely slowly as buns have a very delicate digestive system.

Oh that's great that your vet will neuter both at the same time, it saves a lot of trouble. Yes a good idea to keep them close I'm sure and get them back together asap.

Take a look around the site maybe using the search option and you will find lots of advice re diet. Pellets (hight fibre ones) are an excellent choice but hay is the most important part of the diet - it should make up about 90% of their entire intake, the rest being pellets and veg etc. Basically make changes extremely slowly as buns have a very delicate digestive system.

i am going to search for it all tomorrow to make sure i am fully clued up on it all as i want them to have the best life possible, they eat plenty hay at the moment, just there main food i am worried about but going to change that before it damages them

They are beautiful :love:

It's nice to see that you are doing your research and wanting what is best for them, well done :D

i am going to search for it all tomorrow to make sure i am fully clued up on it all as i want them to have the best life possible, they eat plenty hay at the moment, just there main food i am worried about but going to change that before it damages them

Its so nice that you're making the effort to give them a better life :wave: welcome to the forum! Have a look around, especially in the care reference section and you'll find plenty of information. Dont hesitate to ask any questions you may have, even if it seems silly it may be important!

As regards to brands of pellets, the most popular brands people use on here are Excel, Wagg, Science Selective and Oxbow Bunny Basics. You could google them to see if they do junior versions.

They are so small bless them! Adorable :love:

Its so nice that you're making the effort to give them a better life :wave: welcome to the forum! Have a look around, especially in the care reference section and you'll find plenty of information. Dont hesitate to ask any questions you may have, even if it seems silly it may be important!

As regards to brands of pellets, the most popular brands people use on here are Excel, Wagg, Science Selective and Oxbow Bunny Basics. You could google them to see if they do junior versions.

They are so small bless them! Adorable :love:

thankyou very much !! , i am going to fully research all night to make sure i have the proper diet for them etc, dont want them to end up poorly.. also found out my local pet shop does wagg junior pellets for £2 odd!! going to buy them this week ..thanks for the advice on brands x

:love::love::love:

They are gorgeous!

You may need to introduce the food slowly by mixing in the pellets with their original food and gradually remove the mix food so they are eating just pellets :)

Its good that they are eating hay! :thumb:

There is plenty of information on this forum and if you ever have a question im sure someone will know the answer! :wave:

I have had my girl done at 16 weeks, so long as your vet is confident and happy in the procedure then I wouldn't worry.

Lovely to see people wanting the best for their pets :)

They are beautiful bunnies. xx :love:

Welcome to the forum from me too - it'll soon be a year since I adopted my first bunny (Jack) and I love having them around.

There's some good basic care information on the home site of the forum -

(( Rabbit Rehome ))

and also on (( The Rabbit Welfare Association website )) that I found helpful when I was first researching rabbits. :wave: x

There are some links on the forum itself too for you (( In the reference section )) . xx

thankyou very much , my bunnys enjoy sitting on the laptop watching all the other bunnys, 1 of my babys fell asleep on the laptop a couple weeks back, will put the pic up xx your rabbits are beautiful xx

Back