• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chinese New Year- Year of the Rabbit

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
This Chinese New Year it will be entering the year of the rabbit.

Last time this happened many people in China got rabbits only for that year, and then many didn't want them after that (can't remember how I know that, think it was on a couple of programs about vet practices in China).

Its been weighing on my mind about those rabbits that are going to be affected this time, but there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.

No point to this thread other than a worry vent.

I hope things are different this year. Maybe they will be. Can always hope, right?

Hope they dont buy bunnies, but you know what folk can be like!

I was born in the year of the Rabbit (pointless addition to my post!)

It's just too easy to get a rabbit irresponsibly. :( Hopefully there won't be too many unwanted bunnies at the end of the Year of the Rabbit.

Well I don't think the outcome will be great, the a lot of the Chinese don't have compassion for other humans so animals are way down the list of living things worthy of compassion - look at what they do to dogs :cry: I would never go there, or eat a Chinese takeaway, I despise their record on animal welfare and human rights.

Last edited:
I was thinking on this last night when watching a news program showing a photo shop in China for bunnies :roll: These owners were flocking in with their bunnies kitted out in costumes for their photos :censored:

This thread reminded me- wasn't there another Year of the Rabbit thread? I can't find it now.

Well I don't think the outcome will be great, the Chinese don't have compassion for other humans so animals are way down the list of living things worthy of compassion - look at what they do to dogs :cry: I would never go there, or eat a Chinese takeaway, I despise their record on animal welfare and human rights.

That's the same thing as in the other thread about the US supposedly not having proper animal care... What is with everyone making stereotypical statements? Chinese laws might not have proper animal welfare, but that doesn't mean everyone in China neglects animals. I've seen horrible pictures of animals in market places (where they buy animals as pets, the animals were waiting to be bought) in teeny cages and literally stuffed to the max, not even room for a food dish. That doesn't mean the people that buy them neglect them.

And I've heard of dogs and cats being skinned alive for fur and meat but do you think the average Chinese person would buy something with dog/cat fur? Or would eat dogs/cats? They probably have no idea when they buy it and that's probably blown way out of proportion anyways. I don't think the average Chinese person is any different from any other animal lovers and I know of several people in China on other animal forums. I doubt they would appreciate comments like that. And what do you mean they don't have compassion for other humans?

This thread reminded me- wasn't there another Year of the Rabbit thread? I can't find it now.

That's the same thing as in the other thread about the US supposedly not having proper animal care... What is with everyone making stereotypical statements? Chinese laws might not have proper animal welfare, but that doesn't mean everyone in China neglects animals. I've seen horrible pictures of animals in market places (where they buy animals as pets, the animals were waiting to be bought) in teeny cages and literally stuffed to the max, not even room for a food dish. That doesn't mean the people that buy them neglect them.

And I've heard of dogs and cats being skinned alive for fur and meat but do you think the average Chinese person would buy something with dog/cat fur? Or would eat dogs/cats? They probably have no idea when they buy it and that's probably blown way out of proportion anyways. I don't think the average Chinese person is any different from any other animal lovers and I know of several people in China on other animal forums. I doubt they would appreciate comments like that. And what do you mean they don't have compassion for other humans?

It's not stereotyping to say you do not like a culture, it's personal choice whether you like the way that a country is, the laws, the values, the culture - of course it's not saying that every single person in that country is the same hence it's not personal - not singling out an individual - but, it's my personal choice whether I agree with a lot of things that culturally are acceptable in that country and to say that I despise their record on animal welfare and human rights - China has very little respect for human life, it's a controlling nation with outrageous things happening that just wouldn't be tolerated anywhere - can you imagine being told how many children you can have - can you imagine being shot for industrial fraud - don't get me started on animal welfare - or lack of it - eating dogs and cats is common in China there are even restaurants selling it and the breeding process and conditions is appaulling - the mass slaughter of Dolphins and Whales imported Tiger bones for all the Chinese medicine - you are entitled to your views as am I - I detest France and the fact they eat horses - sorry if that upsets French people but, hey ho - we have freedom of speech in this country !

ETA talking about the fur trade - another area that the USA is seriously behind the UK on !

Last edited:
It's not stereotyping to say you do not like a culture.

It is when you are using 'Chinese culture' as a replacement for 'anyone/thing that is chinese'. You can't really say you dislike a culture without sterotyping. Culture isn't a fixed set of actions and behaviours. It covers a massive range of different beliefs, people and behaviours. That's why a culture is so hard to define - what's British culture? drunken louts watching football? cucumber sandwiches and a cup of tea? When you say you dislike a culture, what you're really saying is you dislike the sterotype of what that culture is. Which totally ignores the fact that thousands, possibly millions of people (something even the majority) can be from a specific place and not do the things that are considered sterotypical for it.

It is when you are using 'Chinese culture' as a replacement for 'anyone/thing that is chinese'. You can't really say you dislike a culture without sterotyping. Culture isn't a fixed set of actions and behaviours. It covers a massive range of different beliefs, people and behaviours. That's why a culture is so hard to define - what's British culture? drunken louts watching football? cucumber sandwiches and a cup of tea? When you say you dislike a culture, what you're really saying is you dislike the sterotype of what that culture is. Which totally ignores the fact that thousands, possibly millions of people (something even the majority) can be from a specific place and not do the things that are considered sterotypical for it.

This. ^

Culture is intrinsic to race...

Rascism:
- the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race , especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
- prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

I detest France and the fact they eat horses

I think it's sad but it's not any different to people eating any other animal.. And using poor cows, goats, and birds for their milk/eggs (which is probably worse than being raised for meat-at least they don't suffer as long).

Fair comment, I should have been more specific in my second post as I was in my first post on this thread that I am primarily not happy with the animal welfare standards and human rights laws and food hygeine/preparation elements of Chinese 'culture'.

Urban Bunny I can assure I am not racist, you are overanalysing my choice of wording and taking it out of context it needs to be read in conjunction with my first post - my mistake has been to not re-inforce those specific elements again in the second post - I'm not suggesting everyone should 'hate' China or Chinese people - I am initially expressing concern about the 'rabbits' given it's the Chinese New Year of the 'rabbit' and saying that based on information I've seen and read etc and taking into account the record on animal welfare and human rights in China, that the rabbits will not be high on a list of protected species shall we say. It's my opinion that's all - it's been challenged on the basis of semantics really - I think 'culture/stereotype' both mean slightly different things to different people and are 'general' terms when talking about an individual/group/country etc but not always in a negative way, the context is very important - I should have specified the animal welfare standards, human rights record and food hygiene elements of the culture are what bother me - I would not hold this against ordinary Chinese people or assume that all Chinese people held this belief at all.:)

This has really got me thinking now - here's another way to consider whether criticising or disliking a perceived 'culture' is racist - I am not racist I like all people equally regardless of the colour of their skin and will show respect to all races/religions - if I in turn dislike the person on getting to know them it is not likely to be because of their colour etc - however - for example - I dislike the african american gangster culture which is in fact glorified by mainstream media although it is very destructive in nature, especially for the black community itself. Does this mean I'm racist???

Last edited:
Back