• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much veg should bunnies have each day?

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Just wondering how much veg/green stuff you feed your buns, I dont know if I'm giving mine enough but don't want to give too much, as that can cause diarrhoea can't it... At the moment they have a small chunk of carrot and a saucer of spring greens each per day...

I don't often feed carrot as it is high in sugars. I tend to use cabbage (white and green), broccoli, celery, beans, spinach (not often though), cauliflower, pea pods (when in season and only small amounts due to sugar), other things too but not so often. Regarding the amount I tend to feed about as much as fits into my cupped hands (hope that makes sense).

mine get a generous handful per day each of veg, in the evening, and a small handful each of pellets in the morning. For eg a whole head of broccolli between them, 2 large carrots between them, 4 cabbage leaves between them, about 12 brussells sprouts between them, etc

Spenser gets a bowl of greens morning and evening. Occasionally I give him a slice of apple or some carrot, but he isn't very fond of either and often leaves it. He doesn't drink much - seems to get all the moisture he needs from his veg - so maybe I'm giving him a bit too much.

Mine only get any fresh as a treat, or if they are ill, and then we pump it into them.

I've just read that an average 2.5kg bun should be having between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 cups of fresh veg a day. theres a link on another post of what they can have as well

I've just read that an average 2.5kg bun should be having between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 cups of fresh veg a day. theres a link on another post of what they can have as well

That sounds a lot to me but I do only give Thumper a red grape or a chunk of carrot once or twice a week. Or a bunch of carrot tops if we have any. So I don't feed much at all, anything daily is a lot to me so :)

im not sure if its right but it was what i read.

This is what i read:

The exact quantities given often depend upon the rabbit, so you may need to test your buns individual limits, as a rule an average 2.5kg rabbit should get 1.5-2.5 cups of fresh vegetables per day

Last edited:
Mine get this much every morning between 4 of them

CIMG3791.jpg

Mine get this much every morning between 4 of them

CIMG3791.jpg

A limited amount of veg. A handful between two perhaps. That looks fine what you have there. I used to feed 100grams a day per bun, but i've found this to be way to much for my lot.

rabbit.org said:
What quantities of food should I feed mature adults? (1 to 5 years)
Unlimited timothy, grass hay, oat hay, straw
1/4 to 1/2 cup pellets per 6 lbs. body weight (depending on metabolism and/or proportionate to veggies)
Minimum 2 cups chopped vegetables per 6 lbs. body weight
fruit daily ration no more than 2 oz. (2 TBL) per 6 lbs. body weight.

6 pounds = 2 721.55422 grams

I think because veg weighs different values that cups are an unreliable measument. I think grams are best. I don't know how much two cups of veggies would weigh though. It would be different based on if you had something heavy like a cucumber or a leaf in there.

Last edited:
I normally fill a salad spinner about 2/3rds full with basil, mint, coriander, parsley, rocket or carrot tops (or kale occasionally) and then divide this between the two pairs. It probably equates to about a handful each.

I feed probably about a handful each in the evening of a variety of herbs, carrot tops, celery leaves and endive 5and in the summer grass and dandys etc aswell.) I occasionally give them a day off having any veg atall x

Back