• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preg bunny

Hi I may have a pregnant doe and I was wondering if the doe is pregnant why is she still humping the male ?

It's within 30 secs of being together I put them together 1 hour a day in a neutral place I heard of domination but I don't know she at him all the time why?

Advice give

Got told it's good for the doe and buck to interact for a small amount of time incase when I do put them back in together 2 month down the line they fight

Is this wrong don't want to keep them apart forever

You need to keep them apart from each other if you have mated the female.

Ideally, to bond them back together you need to spay the female and neuter the male and then bond them, otherwise they do need to stay apart.

If she is pregnant, I would recommend an emergency spay. First time bunny mums aren't always too fantastic at raising kits. They can reject or eat the babies unless you are extremely careful. If they are outside buns, it will especially difficult in weather such as this.
Rehoming babies will also prove to be difficult and if any are rejected, hand rearing isn't very successful. After an accidental litter of our own, I would always no suggest an emergency spay.

Male has been done and me and my parter never knew that one was a boy we bought them both knowing they were both girls

Your male may be recently neutered, however he may remain fertile for up to 4 weeks following surgery. Therefore if your female is not pregnant or delivers within the period of time following his surgery he could inpregnate her again and you then.

I would advise keeping the male away from your female until at least 4 weeks following surgery which was advised on This was advised on http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=262842 and until the babies are weaned if she does have babies. She may defend her babies from him if you allow the male access to her when the babies are with her.

Seperate the male. They will bond back.

The babies should survive this weather if they are given a deep bed. Alternatively bring the female indoors to have her litter.

Once the kits are born or now preferably you will need to look for new owners, unless you are keeping the bunnies- if your keeping them you will need to neuter as soon as possible to stop any other accidental litters.

It is perhaps a good idea to neuter the bunnies yourself if you can afford it before they go to new homes and pair them up when you rehome them so they are not lonely.

Any help you need pm me. Where did you get your buns from? Who told you they were both female?

Once the kits are old enough to be sexed properly- they need to be seperated- Each male will also need to be kept individually as they can fight unless neutered.

Bunnys are able to breed very early on- so you must get them sexed as soon as possible. It's probably best to take them to a vet to do this or a rescue or another rabbit expert.

Both are 7 month old and been together when bought 8 weeks

If their are any babys my wife and I are willing to keep 5 and give others to people we trust 100%

Shop

The store we got them from was acorn a pet store in the uk

The sales assistent tolds us when bought they were both does and also signing a book to say we bought two female holland lop

I would definitely advise taking the female to the vet as they may have mis-sexed her as well. The vet will be able to feel for kits and possibly book an emergency spay if she's not too far gone :wave:

You need to count 35 days from when they were last together, and not put them together in the meantime. If you get past those 33 days then she isn't pregnant, you can get her spayed and then look to rebond.

Back