• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poo stuck to my rabbit's bum?

AriaSwan

Warren Scout
Yesterday I brought Bentley in from the run after about an hour and a half because it had started to rain and he was eating lots of grass. I was holding him in my lap on a towel that he likes to cuddle in and I noticed he smelled sort of bad. At first I thought it was a bit of mud/poo stuck to his foot which I thought he would clean himself, but then I turned him over to check and there was a huge ball of poo stuck to the bottom of his tail! :shock: It was like golf ball sized, and was not in pellet form just a ball, it looked like a tumour or something. :p I took him to the sink and my mother helped hold him while I wiped most of it off, but a lot was caught in his fur by his tail and his "man" area (he is neutered though so it was a bit easier) It didn't all come off so I held him so his butt was hanging down a bit and ran some lukewarm water over it and wiped it off, there was still some left but I put him back in his cage to dry off and he cleaned it himself. What do you think this could have been from? :?

That will definitely be diet related unless he is on medication. Is he on antibiotics? If not what is he fed and how much?

Can you give us a bit more information about what dried food you feed your rabbit and the quantity that they get each day. Do you know what fibre content that it has. Are they a good hay eater.

Do they have dental problems?

Yesterday I brought Bentley in from the run after about an hour and a half because it had started to rain and he was eating lots of grass. I was holding him in my lap on a towel that he likes to cuddle in and I noticed he smelled sort of bad. At first I thought it was a bit of mud/poo stuck to his foot which I thought he would clean himself, but then I turned him over to check and there was a huge ball of poo stuck to the bottom of his tail! :shock: It was like golf ball sized, and was not in pellet form just a ball, it looked like a tumour or something. :p I took him to the sink and my mother helped hold him while I wiped most of it off, but a lot was caught in his fur by his tail and his "man" area (he is neutered though so it was a bit easier) It didn't all come off so I held him so his butt was hanging down a bit and ran some lukewarm water over it and wiped it off, there was still some left but I put him back in his cage to dry off and he cleaned it himself. What do you think this could have been from? :?

hmm sometimes it is just a swift change of food or it might (hope this isnt that cheesy ) just be nature! see how it is for the next couple of days it might just be a phase of something. I would not worry though because one of my rabbits has very sloppy dihorria so im just seeing how he gos.

hmm sometimes it is just a swift change of food or it might (hope this isnt that cheesy ) just be nature! see how it is for the next couple of days it might just be a phase of something. I would not worry though because one of my rabbits has very sloppy dihorria so im just seeing how he gos.

Actually, this sounds very serious and if I were you I would get your bun to the vet asap - they go downhill so fast.

Back