• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One short honk at meal times?

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
I've noticed the past few days that Blanche makes a noise that I can only describe as a duck quack when it comes to feeding time. It happens just as I put food in the bowl and she starts to eat.

I guess it could be happening more often because since they're outside buns I'm not with them 24/7.

I'm really worried about it. Could be it be pure excitement of food or something a bit more sinister? :?

Honking can be excitement, yeah. Biccy used to do it a lot before he was neutered, but its a lot less now he has been.

Clover sometimes does this with excitement - it's as I'm putting the food in, not as he's eating. Freaked me out the first time I heard it :shock::oops::lol:

I've noticed Oscar doing this too lately...only at meal times, and when he's eating he can't sit still and eat, he jumps back n forth over the dish!! :lol::lol:

A 'duck quack' noise doesnt sound like the little deep buzz noise which is usually the 'im excited' noise! If its more like a piggy grunt/honk it could be that shes inhaled a bit of food or something?! Daisy did this a few weeks back and for a few days she was making these funny noises when she ate! I was advised to take her to the vet in case it was the start of a respiratory infection (as thats what they sound like too) Fortunately it sorted itself out and she had the all clear! Is blanche a minilop? Apparently becaise of their smaller airways (little squished faces) they often make squeaky noises when eating or cleaning!

ETA iPhone has finally loaded the siggys so I can see Blanche isnt a minilop! Id keep an eye on her just to make sure all is ok!

Last edited:
Dexter just grunts all the time! Grunts when he's fed, grunts when he's asked to go to bed, grunts when I pick him up, grunts when he's not allowed up the stairs.
He just grunts constantly... Haha. Vocal buns, eh? :p

Back