• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I must resist temptation.....must not recsue bunnehs.....help???

happybunny22000

Warren Veteran
I was in town today and an animal ambulance /wild rescue place were doing demos etc. They had lots of wild birds, owld and falcons etc.

But they had a bunny and to babas. Two gorgeous babas. One was a male who I held for 2 hours. So so cute.

They were an accidental litter and they ended up with them. They are up for rehoming but as rabbits aren't something they deal with they dont do any home checks or offer neuturing or anything.

Now....technically i could fit a bunny in...I only have the 3 now that boo died, so there would (technically once bonded be space for a male). But it would mean paying them a small donation, then paying for his neutur in 6 months time. I had just decided last week after feeling down that not to get any more animals and to save up.....but....he could end up going to a wrong home.....and at least with me he would be with a group and treated right.....but its another animal.....but having had 4, would it really matter? but...itd another £45 to go on a neuturing when I could save that money to the ridiculous £10k I have to find for a deposit (n thats what I have left to save) ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

help????

my head is spinning!

I would guess that every one of us has been 'here' at some point. :)

But - not to crush things - but just some practicalities....

The money *is* an issue. It's not just the immediate costs but the 'what ifs' to take into consideration.

Where will the bunny go until he's old enough to be neutered?

Bonding *may not work* - what then?!

She can easily go into the spare bedroom where tha hamster is, free range with a cage base - the ferplast ones.
I can afford the vets bills,and he would be the same as any other i'd pay. I think he is as likely to need vets emergency as any other.
Bonding isnt likely to be a problem as soon as he is bigger - he is the size of my hand, i'd start the introductory proceses thats what I did with Daisy who was also only young and unspayed. Both whiskey and Topsy are soft so cant see a problem there.

But I am worried....

This is their facebook page...http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=179705502052245&id=124085777631672

they asking "20 quid" for the rabbits, by taking one of them am I not just doing the same as going to someone with an "accidental litter" or am I doing right by at least taking one and giving one a good home that may otherwise be a back garden bottom hutch bunny?

I could use that argument for every bunny I see on Preloved but it wouldn't be practical or sensible. :(

And vet bills for an extra bunny are bills in addition to those you already have to pay for so it is different no matter how your heart may try to justify it.

Believe me I sympathise. We recently looked after an old ratty who's since died. When we lost him our hearts said to go and get the ones in our local Rspca - but our heads stopped us from doing so. We will get rats again but it won't be for a few years yet because it wouldn't be fair to our current pets etc.

However - if you honestly feel you can cope and you want him - it's totally up to you! I'm just being 'devils advocate' because I think you can find all the reasons you should take this bunny- it's reasons why you shouldn't you're lacking lol. ;) xx

From your thread the other day I wouldn't get anymore hun, it seems like you are filling a void with animals that can't actually be fulfilled with animals. When does it stop? I was like this at one point but you have to stop and say enough is enough sometimes.

We currentlt have 20 animals :O as our hearts just go out to those needing rescued.
If you felt like you were just filling a void, I'd say don't go for it... But, the fact that you have a single bun and the fact that you have obviously fallen for him... why not? If you have a fab vet like me who lets you pay in instalments for things, then I guess it's not a problem :D
Save him... I bet you'd love all your pets the same still :D
I still have time for all of mine and I have a 2 year old and uni too :p

I more needed the opposite lol, I had all the wrong reasons sorted, but only 2 positives. I was needing someone to tell me it was a good idea.
I feel so bd for him though he was so so young :(

I more needed the opposite lol, I had all the wrong reasons sorted, but only 2 positives. I was needing someone to tell me it was a good idea.

Awww. Could you offer to foster the bun' for them so he's not in immediate danger of going somewhere unsuitable?

Although I suppose we all know where that's likely to lead..... :p

no, there are two babies, brother and sister. I am at least being sensible in only considering the one that sexully would fit into the group :s

Well - how about you sleep on it and see how you feel tomorrow? There won't be the immediate emotional pull then that you are feeling today.

If the above mentioned ratty had died in the morning on a day when I wasn't at work it would have been far harder to not go get the Rspca rats - but it was at night-time and then I was at work (and now we're both ill with this 'bloomin awful cold-virus) so the immediate emotional 'I want ratties again!' pull had died down a little allowing me to feel more rational.

Hope you can decide what's best for you and the said bunny xx :) xx

Back