• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lemon skin toxic ? a rabbit has eaten ...

Martine

Alpha Buck
:wave: Hello ! just a little question, as I cannot find anything on the toxicity of lemon as someone on a French forum has got a rabbit who accidentally ate lemon skin last night, but he is eating fine and no side effects today .. is lemon skin toxic ? I know it"s not good for rabbits neither oranges, tangerines, too acid and skin is bitter, but the girl should have put her fruits out of reach of her rabbit... Vet was closed when it happened and she would not call the emergency to ask ! people are that way they sick help on a forum instead of calling the emergency ...

Thanks if you know the answer as I never encountered this problem.

Given that orange peel is poisonous, I would suspect lemon peel is too. That said, often rabbits cope well with toxic stuff, but obviously not always.

She needs to keep her eyes open for signs of toxicity, which, as well as gut problems, include things like neurological signs (eyes flicking, odd behaviour, loss of limb control, really anything like that) and also for any other different behaviours that might indicate some of the organs are struggling, like excessive drinking, etc.

Given that orange peel is poisonous, I would suspect lemon peel is too. That said, often rabbits cope well with toxic stuff, but obviously not always.

She needs to keep her eyes open for signs of toxicity, which, as well as gut problems, include things like neurological signs (eyes flicking, odd behaviour, loss of limb control, really anything like that) and also for any other different behaviours that might indicate some of the organs are struggling, like excessive drinking, etc.

Orange skin is toxic? Just to bunnies I take it as you would normally leave orange skin on for guinea pigs and my great aunt is very partial to some oange skin with her orange so it can't be very toxic to humans :wave:

some food which is not toxic to humans can be to rabbits.. Even the orange without the skin is too acid and not good for rabbits.. It's best to give usual food which we know for certain it is ok than be in doubt. These fruits are not natural food for rabbits either so personally I dont' give..

Orange skin is toxic? Just to bunnies I take it as you would normally leave orange skin on for guinea pigs and my great aunt is very partial to some oange skin with her orange so it can't be very toxic to humans :wave:

I know nothng about guinea pigs, but do know rabbit's shouldn't have the peel. the inner bits can be given ok because even though its acidic, a rabbits gut is hugely acidic, but only give it in moderation, I believe.

some food which is not toxic to humans can be to rabbits.. Even the orange without the skin is too acid and not good for rabbits.. It's best to give usual food which we know for certain it is ok than be in doubt. These fruits are not natural food for rabbits either so personally I dont' give..

Yes, I agree, too much sugar and acid in oranges for rabbits but just because they are not the best foods to give them doesn't mean they are toxic just best avoided. The skin thing I'd never heard about.

I was just curious about the idea of orange peel being toxic as although I know that rabbits and guinea pigs diets should be different as far as vitamin C goes I wouldn't have thought they would be so different that orange peel for 1 could be toxic for the other.

I am however completely aware that male rats shouldn't be fed citrus fruits as the d-limonene binds to a protein in urine that only makes produce which can solidify causing blockages and sometimes cancer.

I'm not a complete noob as far as diet goes I was just looking for a bit more info as I'd never heard about the toxicity for rabbits, that's all :wave:

ETA: From what I have just found out from google d-limonene in orange peel is slightly toxic but no more so to rabbits than us. The reason people suggest removing skins is due to pesticides so I'm guessing in answer to the original question the rabbit will be fine from eating a small amount of lemon peel as it's more or less the same as orange :wave:

Last edited:
I understand what you mean, but still I'm not too sure as these fruits belong to same family, and we,human also eat lemon skin in marmalade or fruit tarts for example because the skin makes it more tasty :wave:

I understand what you mean, but still I'm not too sure as these fruits belong to same family, and we,human also eat lemon skin in marmalade or fruit tarts for example because the skin makes it more tasty :wave:

I think from what I have found out that you shouldn't feed citrus skins as routine due to the toxicity of d-limone and the pesticides in the skin but as a one off mistake the bun should be fine. I think the effects are cumulative due to the low doses of chemicals which are in them :wave:

Yes, I totally agree, that's why I never attempt to give unusual food, and also the citrus is very acid and depending on the rabbit even as a treat I would not.

Here is an exerpt from the House Rabbit Society (HRS) on fruits that can be given with care to rabbits, (oranges without the peel incl.) :

Suggested Fruits
San Diego HRS

Related Articles

Suggested Vegetables

Poisonous Plants List(from OR Rabbit Advocates)

Diet FAQ

Please refer to the Diet FAQ for detailed info on proper quantities and combinations to feed for a well-ballanced diet.

Apple (remove stem and seeds)
Blueberries
Melon
Orange (without the peel)
Papaya
Peach
Pear
Pineapple
Plums
Raspberries
Strawberries

Sugary fruits such as bananas and grapes should be used only sparingly, as occasional treats. Bunnies have a sweet tooth and if left to their own devices will devour sugary foods to the exclusion of healthful ones.

Last edited:
Yes, I saw that as well so researched about why the peel is bad which is where the d-limonene and pesticides stuff came from. It appears it's not harmful as a one off. Not a guarantee than a bun with a sensitive tummy won't have a change in poos but nothing to contact the poisons bureau about.

yes, a sensitive tommy will not cope with acidity like found in tomatoes also, as they are no good for rabbits, and people should be careful in trying new veg or fruit, it's a risk not worth taking. I could not find anything on lemon either, no news from the rabbit so I hope he is ok..

yes, a sensitive tommy will not cope with acidity like found in tomatoes also, as they are no good for rabbits, and people should be careful in trying new veg or fruit, it's a risk not worth taking. I could not find anything on lemon either, no news from the rabbit so I hope he is ok..

I'm sure he'll be fine. It's not like he's eaten a huge pile of Ivy, just a little lemon skin. I'm sure even if he is under the weather a good chomp on some hay will sort him out.

I'm sure I read during my bit of research yesterday that a breeder (for meat :cry:) feeds citrus skins as a treat so if his buns haven't keeled over prematurely then this little one will be fine.

Thank you Rhian, in fact I just read that he is fine, but she said he grabed it from the bin :shock: he has a good tommy ! He is 8 1/2 years. Nevertheless it would be interesting to know about this risk on a larger amount swallowed, and I am surprised of what you read about the breeder -

Last edited:
Back