• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Claws

I think they need clipping.

Normally the vet does them, but i forgot to ask when i was there on thursday :roll:

Im not sure if i dare do them myself :? i dont have any clippers either :roll:

How can you tell when theyre too long? Whenever i think they look long, the vet says they arent too bad :?

I think you can usually tell when they have really sharp points on the end. The vets usually advise to just clip the points off and it should be ok. If your buns are still indoors it might be worth getting them a concrete slab to help keep them short :)

ETA: when the claws seem to hook over is when they are too long

Last edited:
We do H&H's ourselves, I ordered the special clippers from the vet and they are really simple to use. My bunnys are white, so their claws are light coloured, and when I push the fur back from around them you can see the pink section, which has blood running through it and should never be clipped into - I usually do mine around once every six weeks down to a couple of millimetres above the end of the pink section. I find it is a job that requires four hands tho! Through trial and error Ive found the best way for us is if I sit on a hard backed chair, hold bunny by scruff of neck with 1 hand, and hold both hind legs with other hand, a bit like u would do with a baby while changing their nappy, and tip bunny back so his back is against my stomach, almost like he is sitting up right on his bum, my partner then uses 1 hand to push the fur around each claw back, and clips with the other hand

Back