• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Training bunneh's

.x.Rach.x.

Alpha Buck
Well I've arrived back from my parents house and decided the buns aren't gonna be destructive in my house anymore (I'm in rented property). So i've started spraying Lottie with water and saying 'no' whenever she starts ripping up/eating the pet mats, well the 1st time it worked. Then the next time she kicked her back legs, like they do when angry.... ran into the pen/cage and sulked for half an hour until I went in and stroked her :shock: Not sure it's having the right effect :/

Well I've arrived back from my parents house and decided the buns aren't gonna be destructive in my house anymore (I'm in rented property). So i've started spraying Lottie with water and saying 'no' whenever she starts ripping up/eating the pet mats, well the 1st time it worked. Then the next time she kicked her back legs, like they do when angry.... ran into the pen/cage and sulked for half an hour until I went in and stroked her :shock: Not sure it's having the right effect :/

I must say, i don't like the whole 'spray' bottle idea of a deterrent. It just upsets the bunny and will often associate it with getting angry and aggressive :(

Thing is, she's being natural by digging (i of all people should know that right now!).

I dont have an answer for you, but just wanted to let you know, by using a spray bottle against her, she may associate you with the bottle and so become 'against you' if you see where im coming from?

Im in the same position as you. But i wouldnt use a spray bottle.

Im trying to inforce rules for them when they are free ranging and so at the moment, im not giving them free access unless they are supervised. When they are in their cage, they can do what they like. Theyre cage is their home base and their safe retreat. I dont bother them when their in their cage unless i shake the treat box or feed them. This is to teach them that that noise means food and will help to get them back into their cage when i need them to.

Ive been reading this article and have found it very useful...

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/firstday.htm

Hope it helps. :wave:

Thing is, she's being natural by digging (i of all people should know that right now!).

:lol: bless biccy

Just to point out It's not a lot of water, only a small mist. They were always perfectly behaved until about a month ago, when they decided it was time to rip up the mats :| they don't dig them as such, they turn them over and eat the underneath bit. Lewis doesn't really do it anymore though. They seem happy enough now, have extended their free range area :D I just didn't want their behaviour to get any worse as they already ate a part of the wallpaper and a chunk of plaster out of the wall :| At my parents over Christmas, the only bad thing they wanted to do was cable chew (they had a huge room of furniture they could've destroyed lol).. they just associate my house with destroying things :shock::lol:

Back