• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies sleep with their eyes open?? Olly looks dead!

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
If his tummy wasn't moving up and down I'd swear he was dead! He's lying on his side with his eye wide open, is this normal??

:? ive never known a rabbit to sleep with eyes open hope you have poked him to check hes alive and told him to stop scaring you :lol:
he could be just chilling i wouldnt worry too much ;)

Most of mine do this, and do it with their eyes open. Its normally a sign of a totally content bunny. Its not called a 'dead bunny flop' for no reason though :lol:

He's got up now! Very worrying though! He was still breathing normally but apart from that he was motionless and his eyes didnt react when I waved my hand in front of him!:?

I don't think I've ever seen mine with his eyes completely closed. :shock: & he's 5 1/2 now. He does "dead bunny flops" of complete relaxation, & even makes noises & movements suggesting he's dreaming although his eyes are still part open. So it's perfectly normal.:D

I don't think I've ever seen mine with his eyes completely closed. :shock: & he's 5 1/2 now. He does "dead bunny flops" of complete relaxation, & even makes noises & movements suggesting he's dreaming although his eyes are still part open. So it's perfectly normal.:D

I love it when they dream. what do his acgtions show he is dreaming of Judy?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :oops::oops::oops:
On one occasion he was making soft grunting noises & slight paw movements. He woke with a jolt & without any hesitation humped his toy rabbit.
(Boys will be boys. :lol:)

On another he was fast asleep & kept reaching up for his ear, missing it, bringing his front paw down & grooming thin air. :lol::lol::lol: So I guess hewas dreaming about having a wash & brush up.

Unfortunately our communication system isn't good enough to ask whether he does this before he sets out to "pull the does" in his dream life.

On one occasion he was making soft grunting noises & slight paw movements. He woke with a jolt & without any hesitation humped his toy rabbit.

On another he was fast asleep & kept reaching up for his ear, missing it, bringing his front paw down & grooming thin air. :lol::lol::lol: So I guess hewas dreaming about having a wash & brush up.

Unfortunately our communication system isn't good enough to ask whether he does this before he sets out to "pull the does" in his dream life.

:lol: :thumb:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

All of mine sleep with their eyes closed. However when I first adopted Annie and Beatrix they did sleep with their eyes open for a while. Then I guess once they felt totally safe and at home they stopped. I love watching them when they are in deep sleep and start moving their little mouths like they are noshing....:love:

I rarely see Jenson with his eyes completely closed, he does big flops and usually against the side of his cage nearest me so I can't see him without being above him.
He does do that thing kids do, must keep eyes open.... might miss something.... I'm awake honest... (while struggling to keep his eyes open, it's very cute).

I've never seen either of my two close their eyes. I actually googled to check if it was normal! Apparently it is.

Pepper does big flops and then licks her front paws madly straight away while she's settling down and if I didn't know better I'd think she was having a fit or something!

Pumpkin pulled a dead bunny flop and scared me silly this weekend after crazy binkies.

Never moved so fast in my life to grab a bunny to check if his air ways were open in case it was an epileptic fit.

He even managed to roll his bad eye upwards and stretch his legs out and no he did not appreciate being poked by a worried owner from such a deep sleep after over doing things. The so and so lunged straight at me because I forgot to tell him I was there before starting to lift him out of his hay box. Turned his bum at me then flopped back into a nomming in his sleep. :roll:

'Dead bunny' flops can unnerve people who have kept buns for years.:shock:

Back