• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to cheer up a sexually frustrated bun??

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Olly was castrated at the end of nov and he's been separated from honey since then as he will still be fertile. At the moment his cage is in the lounge and honey's is in the hall, although they see each other when they come out (through the bars). I let them out together yesterday but olly just wants to hump honey constantly and I have to hold him off! He seems really depressed cos I won't let him. I don't know if it would make things better or worse if I put honey's cage next to his? What do you think? And will he always be like this or will he calm down?? I am going to get honey spayed next month and hopefully reunite them after that, but it seems an awful long time away! Poor olly :(

Erm, have you tried an appropriate sized cuddly toy for him to 'cuddle'? :oops:

Even a rolled up towel would probably do

Haha yes I tried that a few weeks ago but he wasn't interested! I might try rubbing it on honey first so it smells like her...:)

Olly was castrated at the end of nov and he's been separated from honey since then as he will still be fertile. At the moment his cage is in the lounge and honey's is in the hall, although they see each other when they come out (through the bars). I let them out together yesterday but olly just wants to hump honey constantly and I have to hold him off! He seems really depressed cos I won't let him. I don't know if it would make things better or worse if I put honey's cage next to his? What do you think? And will he always be like this or will he calm down?? I am going to get honey spayed next month and hopefully reunite them after that, but it seems an awful long time away! Poor olly :(

if its been more 6 weeks he should be able to go back with her you dont have to wait till she has been done he cant get her pregnant after 6 weeks if i remember right

Humping can also be a sign of dominance and is a normal part of the bonding process, so it could be him dominating her rather than venting sexual frustration :wave:

I was told 8 weeks, so not sure... Thought honey might get aggressive towards him if she's not spayed though... Especially if he keeps humping her!!

Oh right Gemma, I didn't know that. I think he is horny though cos he runs round in circles making buzzing noises!

Travis used to have a Thomas the tank engine childrens football which he would chase and circle before he was snipped.... :oops:

I was told 8 weeks, so not sure... Thought honey might get aggressive towards him if she's not spayed though... Especially if he keeps humping her!!

8 weeks is a looooooooong time.The usual recommended time is 4 weeks, and 6 if you want to be really sure.
If your female is not reacting aggressively to his humping, you can put them together, but you will need to separate them again while she is healing from her spay or her stitches might come undone.

Even if it has been more than 6 weeks, if he continually pesters her and she is unspayed then she could easily turn on him and eitiher could seriously injure the other. It's best to hold off the rebonding until both are neutered if possible.

Well my Thumper is neutered and "rabbit" (no name yet, silly O/H being lazy) isn't spayed yet. They humped a lot, he chinned things for the first time (3 months after his fix) and they got on really well. 2 Days on they're now cuddling up with no fighting, no humping, and no aggression. It's cute really. I'm not getting her spayed until she is approximatly 6/12 months old, she is only 5 at the moment. Chance to same up spare cash and they're ahppy the way they are so :)

Oh thats reassuring! I was wondering whether she might get aggressive before being spayed, I'll just have to keep an eye on them i think when i reunite them. They are brother and sister so have never been apart really, and think theyre missing each other cos they groom each others noses through the bars! :love: just want them to be together and happy again :love::love:

Even if it has been more than 6 weeks, if he continually pesters her and she is unspayed then she could easily turn on him and eitiher could seriously injure the other. It's best to hold off the rebonding until both are neutered if possible.

Id probably do what PL suggested...mainly cause IF they did fight...it would make re-bonding possibly harder....if they are happy now Id leave them be until after Honey has been speyed --will give Honey a chance to heal properly & they wouldnt have to be seperated for that time period. Then let them re-unite.....
This is just my thought process...not from experience;)

I have an un-neautered bunny - Archie - and he runs around me too & tries to hump my arm or leg or snugglesafe or blanket!:roll:
I felt he was lonely and so gave hime a fleece blanket which he adores...perhaps try this?
Archie is due to be neutered & then bonded.

As Honey is not speyed yet - she is probably giving off scents which are making Olly excited, so perhaps he may bug her because if this too.

Hope you make the right decision for you & the buns! So hard to know whats for the best really....:D

Back