• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear drops - clogging fur

Muppet2

Alpha Buck
Is there any way to 'clean' fur (without washing)?

My teeny tiny lop Sooty has an ear infection and is on day 6 of having Canaural ear drops twice a day for 10 days. I have to wonder how much ear drops I'm getting into her as it mostly seems to be around her neck making the fur greasy and clumping up. It looks terrible and I'm worried it's a bit draughty!

Is there any way to clean it out? Brush in corn flour or talc to absorb it then brush it out again? It needs to be a fairly stress-free method as she's having a tough time lately.

no talc, nothing or it will make matters worst..

When you inject the ear drop, do you put it in the right hole ? because there are 2 holes if you look straight above your rabbit's ear. Drop or cleaning should be injected in the hole on the body side (not temporal side).

Once you have done so to one ear, you massage the base of the ear to make sure the liquid gets correctly in. Then with a sterile tissu (not cotton wool) you clean the excess coming out from the ear. Then you do the 2nd ear. Once this is all done for both ears, the rabbit will shake his head, splashing drops on his fur. You can clean it immediately with tissu or towel just humid with temperate warm water and wipe it off.

Thanks, Martine: I had no idea rabbits have two holes inside their ears! Why dont vets tell you that???! :roll: So quite possibly it's a matter of chance as to the ear drops helping, as they could have gone in either hole...

Sooty's a very small mini lop, it's quite difficult to see down her ears (and she doesnt keep still of course which doesnt help!) but I shall have a go :D

No it is very easy to see it, you really look down the ear and put the drop in the hole which on the external edge side, because the hole on the eye side down leads nowhere. My vet showed me the first time as I did not know that, they just dont tell people, so ask him to show you, it is very easy in fact. I've good practice now since I have been doing it for last 2 years on a weekly basis to clean the ears because loops can accumulate a lot bacteria as their ears keep the moisture, not being aired enough as the normal rabbits are !

No it is very easy to see it

I'll take your word for it, I havent managed yet :lol: I'm just aiming and hoping now, but thanks for the info :D

if you want to clean the fur without bathing..wet wipes or a damp flannel

That's what I'd normally do, but I wasnt sure how effective it would be since her fur is greasy rather than dirty. I was wondering if the cornflour would be more effective as it would absorb the greasiness. I've not dared try it though!

Back