• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - couple of questions

CDW

Warren Scout
Hi - I've posted this in behaviour and bonding, but also posting here, hope that's okay!!

I have two female rabbits, sisters - both neutered. I'm hoping to attempt to bond them soon. They live together in my spare room. I got them at eight weeks old but had to separate them after only two weeks as they started fighting. A puppy pen separates the room in half. We've had a couple of minor fights where one got into the other's section but on the whole this arrangement has worked fine. They sometimes box and nip each other through the bars but they also spend a lot of time sitting next to each other and grooming each other so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is a positive sign. I've read some of the (many!!) posts on here about bonding so I have a rough idea of what to do. But I have a couple of questions:

I'm going to move the rabbits downstairs for this - this is an area that is neutral to both of them and I'll box off a small area in the room. Before we introduce them downstairs, should we take them in the car on a short journey in their carry boxes so they are slightly anxious? Would they be more likely to huddle together when then put together? Or is this just an unnecessary stress to them at what will already be a stressful time?

If we are successful in bonding, when we return the rabbits to their room, would they then become territorial again? Does the carpet, toys, tubes etc all have to be completely cleaned to remove their scent? What would you use to clean to prevent this?

And is this something that can be done in stages or when you introduce them is that it, they should be kept together where possible and not separated again unless they are really not getting on?

Many thanks

I'm going to move the rabbits downstairs for this - this is an area that is neutral to both of them and I'll box off a small area in the room. Before we introduce them downstairs, should we take them in the car on a short journey in their carry boxes so they are slightly anxious? Would they be more likely to huddle together when then put together? Or is this just an unnecessary stress to them at what will already be a stressful time?I always take mine for a car journey at the start of a bond. I've found that it often sets the rabbits in the right mood for bonding and does unsettle them, which means no one is super confident instantly, which can sometimes cause problems. They also get used to sitting together and each other's scent

If we are successful in bonding, when we return the rabbits to their room, would they then become territorial again? Does the carpet, toys, tubes etc all have to be completely cleaned to remove their scent? What would you use to clean to prevent this? You will need to clean the room as thoroughly as possible. A distilled vinegar solution is very good for this. I'm unsure what people use on their carpets though.

And is this something that can be done in stages or when you introduce them is that it, they should be kept together where possible and not separated again unless they are really not getting on? That really depends on the rabbits, as to what is best. Dating can work well for some bunnies, but other bunnies need to not be separated after being put together, so you need to read the rabbits and try to work out what you're seeing.

Back