• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kirkby new arrival -appalling neglect (pics possibly upsetting, but happy outcome)

Tracy

Warren Veteran
Celia at Kirkby Pet Welfare phoned me this afternoon to say that she had just had a rabbit handed in that was in an appalling state so I went over to help her clean him up. The people just left him with her and it wasn't until she lifted him out of the carrier that she realised what a dreadful state he was in. :(

With Celia saying that he was in a terrible state, I had prepared myself for the worst, but when I actually saw him I was totally shocked. It is the most appalling case of neglect that I've ever seen...it was very upsetting. :cry:

The photos do not show the full extent of how bad he was. The largest lump of dried poo was so big that he couldn't walk properly. His back end above the tail was a carpet of matted and smelly fur. His poor eyes are in a terrible state, both eyes are infected and the crusts that had formed on his face where his eyes have been weeping were thick and smelt horrible.....I have never seen anything like this before. His claws were all very long and curling over. He is also very thin. His incisors look to be OK and there wasn't any signs of drooling or dribbling, but we won't know whether he has molar problems until he has been checked over by Celia's vet. We're guessing he is an older rabbit.

We've cleaned him up, so he must feel so much better already. We've removed the huge crusts from his face, there wasn't any fur underneath the crusts and the skin is a little sore in places, but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Amazingly he wasn't too sore beneath all that poo either.

:cry::cry:

Neglected%20rabbit%2001.jpg

Neglected%20rabbit%2005.jpg

Neglected%20rabbit%2003.jpg

Neglected%20rabbit%2006.jpg

Last edited:
How can anyone let a creature get into that state??:censored:

Poor darling, I'm sure he'll be feeling a LOT better after some proper tlc.

Sending him vibes and noserubs.

xxx

Poor bunny. Its a blessing it isn't summer or he'd be crawling with maggots now. I wish him the best of luck with his recovery. Do keep us updated. Can the previous owners not be prosecuted? Absolutely disgraceful to allow a rabbit to get into that state :cry:

Helen xx

This is absolutely sick, I am speechless and appauled :( This poor rabbit, this does not help my faith in humanity, in fact it enforces my opinion that humans are undeserving and vile. :(

I'm so happy that this bunny has found its way to you all :(
And that people are there to help.

I'm going to go vent, I'm disgusted. :censored:

:cry: hat is truely awful , the poor bun, glad he;s in a better place, and he finds a forever loving home soon

OMG... How Awful for this poor bun!!! Those pics had me in tears...:cry:
Thank goodness you have him now and he is more comfy..
Please let us know how he goes on

aww the poor poor bunny! how could anyone let him get like that! i know people neglect pets but this is awful, why couldn't they have just got him to celia sooner if they didn't want him.

I am glad that celia has him now and you have got him cleaned up. Hope he is OK at the vets and the vet says he is fine.

That is discusting. What sorry excuses for human beings would let a poor animal get into that state.

OMG!! :censored: :censored: That poor bunny!! So glad hes in safe hands now! How anyone could do that to anything is just beyond me! GRRR!! I hate people sometimes!!
Sending love and hugs to this poor bunny!!
x

That is awful! :cry: Thank God he went to a rescue. The poo on the bum reminds me of my friend's past rabbit, she had clumps of poo on her for weeks but as I was 10 I didn't realise how bad it was. The poor thing died of fly strike. :cry: The owners only tried to cut it off every few weeks! :censored:

the poor little soul,:cry: how can anyone let a poor defenceless animal get in that state, hope he will be ok, thank god his in your careing hands now

That's awful but at least he is in good hands now. How hard is it to go to a vet for it to be clipped off or to find info online? If they had nipped it in the bud I'm sure he wouldn't have had to suffer so long and his treatment would have been a lot cheaper as well.

:cry:People should have to have licences to have pets.

It goes through me when people get buns for their kids, they get locked away in hutches. They get to have a run when they can be bothered to let them out, don't have them injected against diseases, never check their bums, ears or eyes and their diet is poor.

People need to stop being so ignorant against the intelegence and needs of bunnies :(:censored:

Back