• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

spinach and suger snap peas

maggiebuns

Warren Scout
:wave: can anyone tell me if rabbits can have spinach and suger snap peas :) also is there any herbs that they carn't have, thinking of growing a variety of herbs this summer :)

Yes but spinach is relatively high in calcium and peas are high in sugar.

They definitely can't have chives as they are a member of the onion family. :)

spinach has high levels of oxalic acid which interferes with the uptake of the minerals and calcium within the leaves making digestion of not only the calcium but everything else that's good difficult
i don't feed spinach simply because of the oxalic acid content

:wave: can anyone tell me if rabbits can have spinach and suger snap peas :) also is there any herbs that they carn't have, thinking of growing a variety of herbs this summer :)

Thankyou for this link, I found foods i didnt know my bunnies could have.

Here's a list that may be helpful http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/feeding_en.pdf

My rabbits like Lemon Balm which is easy to grow and quickly makes a nice bushy plant. I thought they couldn't have Bay Leaves but others have said they are ok. Corriander is very popular at our house too, sage and rosemary is eaten but not so readily.

thanks so much for the link, found it really informative, i had no idea that they could eat radishes and the tops :) corriander and lemon balm is on my list for this summer as is lavender, once again many thanks :)

Yes but spinach is relatively high in calcium and peas are high in sugar.

They definitely can't have chives as they are a member of the onion family. :)

thanks schuette, i know what we are having tomoz with our sunday dinner spinach :oops:..... glad i asked before trying them on it :)

Mine have spinach and sugar snap peas - both are quite safe in moderation unless bunny has renal issues (and needs a reduced calcium and oxalate diet) :wave:

Mine have spinach and sugar snap peas - both are quite safe in moderation unless bunny has renal issues (and needs a reduced calcium and oxalate diet) :wave:

okies :)maybe i will try them then, will try a little and if everythings ok (poop) perhaps they can have spinach and peas once a month thanks prettylupin :D

I feed mine spinach in small amounts and they are fine with it, they dont like sugar snap peas, but love normal pea pods so Im always buying fresh peas in the summer, we have the peas and the bunnys have the pods

Back