• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much Excel pellets should I be giving?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Hi :wave: I am just wondering how much Excel pellets I should be giving two average sized bunnies? I used to be giving too much to Beano I think so I reduced the amount. I give them some in a morning and some on a night but whenever I go to give them some they are always at the food bowl getting really excited, especially Beano who I think is a bit greedy, and the bowl is empty and when I give them it they are both at the bowl munching away. I'm wondering am I giving too little or are they just being greedy buns?

Opinion differs on this! Some people say an eggcup per bun a day is enough, whereas the packet I have says the size of bunny's head (but then they will want you to buy more pellets). Spenser gets about an eggcup morning and night, and a few extras for supper. He's not a great hay eater, but I'm reluctant to cut down his pellets while it is so cold.

I differ from Susie, when mine were on Excel they just got a pinch of pellets each. Thankfully mine are awesome hay eaters despite being dental bunnies, so I give minimal pellets to ensure they eat a lot- its controlled their dental issues well. Now they are on Science Selective, they get one in the morning and one in the evening. I'm so stingy :lol:

There's no set right amount to give your bunny, its what works best for them.

They obviously need access to hay all the time (which I'm sure you're doing) and that is the staple of their diet. It's totally common they will go nuts for pellets because they are like sweets. Its good they like them, but obviously, just because they like them, it doesn't mean they are good for them in excessive amounts like bunnies will want to eat. So I would suggest sticking with a small amount and then giving them a handful of fresh hay regularly throoughout the day. They will soon learn to get excited about the hay.

I would echo Sky-O's comments Liz but also Susies too as everybun is different and it's a case of working out what works best for them :wave:

Beano looks well fed (don't take that the wrong way) and Gordon isn't a large frame and so shouldn't become overweight. It's sooooo easy to give into their little faces :roll::lol: They will ALWAYS be excited to see you because they associate you with food and so we have to remind ourselves of this ;) As Sky-O says, pellets are like bunny sweeties and because it's lovely to see them tucking in it's very tempting to give them more. So long as they have access to lots of fresh hay you I would try reducing the amount by a little each day over the course of a week or two. You could use a plastic (see through) cup or container & mark on the outside with pen where the pellets come to before emptying them into their food bowl.

If it helps - at this time of year I give Bouncer a small handful of SS pellets (my hands are "medium" adult) & Paw-Paw a little less am & pm + veg (but of course they are not in together and so it's easier to monitor who's getting what). They get fresh hay at least twice a day :D

You're doing such a fab job Liz and you are so mature about everything. You're bunnies are extremely lucky :wave:

Thankyou both :) I thought the amount is said on the pack was too much so I've never given that much. Thankyou Sky-O, they have plenty of hay and thankfully they are both good hay eaters. I just didn't want to be giving them too little but now I know I'm not :)

ETA: Just seen Fluffers post, thankyou :) I know the risks of rabbits being overwieght and will be careful. Last time Beano got wheighed (don't know how to spell that!) she wasn't overwieght but could do to weigh a little less I think. Thankyou, I will cut down pellets gradually. I have a measureing cup for my piggies food, I will see if I can find one for the rabbits too. :) If only my sister is as mature around pets as I am :roll:

Last edited:
Thankyou both :) I thought the amount is said on the pack was too much so I've never given that much. Thankyou Sky-O, they have plenty of hay and thankfully they are both good hay eaters. I just didn't want to be giving them too little but now I know I'm not :)

:) That sounds all good. Rabbits can do ok on a purely hay diet, so don't worry about giving too little. Pellets are there basically to ensure they get all the right vitamins and minerals and if you're giving any pellets, then they are getting them, so don't worry about that :)

our rabbit savvy vet told us that duke was looking a little too comfortable :lol:

he suggested we cut down a little and that the pellets we put out for him and daisy (it was before we lost daisy and adopted libby) should last no more than 15 minutes - weve stuck to that and it seems to work pretty well :)

Hmmmmm ... think I should try cutting down Spenser's pellets. I do so want him to eat more hay, but even an eggcup seems such a tiny amount for a farily large rabbit.

How much does he weigh?

I don't actually know. The only time he has been weighed was at the emergency vet last September, when he weighed 2.9kg. Because he's a cross-breed his actual weight doesn't mean that much. Going by an article on bodyscoring I read, he's not overweight - although his fluffy coat can give that impression in certain postures.

I don't actually know. The only time he has been weighed was at the emergency vet last September, when he weighed 2.9kg. Because he's a cross-breed his actual weight doesn't mean that much. Going by an article on bodyscoring I read, he's not overweight - although his fluffy coat can give that impression in certain postures.

At 2.9, he's not a large bunny. My Candyfloss weighs 3kg and gets two Science Selective pellets a day. The rest of her diet is only (fresh is very rare for my bunnies), so he should be fine if you cut down.

That said, fluffy bunnies do need more protein in their diet than normal bunnies because they need it to produce their fur, so I wouldn't suggest cutting him down to total minimal, but cutting him down at least by half (gradually obviously) should be fine. If he starts losing weight then you can readjust.

Back