• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit weights.

Barney rubble

Warren Scout
I just wanted to ask if anyone knows about how much a netherland dwarf may weigh and and lionhead?? I've just bonded my two together and just want to keep an eye on their weights to make sure they are both getting "enough" to eat, and that one or the other isn't getting more than they should, if that makes sense.

Helen x

I would suggest not relying on others weights, and what they should weigh, because each bunny is different and you get buns from all breeds that are 'toob big' or 'too small' but are healthy for them. Just focus on how they are, get to know them. Get to know their normal (maybe weigh them yourself once a week or so) and go from there. There are show weights for nethies and lionheads but they wouldn't provide a specific indicator for your rabbits.

have you weighed them now? bunnies can all differ a bit in weight so its probably best to just keep an eye on them that they dont lose or put on alot of weight.
I have 2 lionheads who are 1.4kg and 1.6kg :D

I'm not sure if i have weighed them "right" From having Barney as a baby i have'nt weighed much only once, he's a hay monster and food monster and he feels and looks ok, he's my nethie boy. Marley I've not had for very long only 2months and she's eating ok, not a great hay eater, but eats some, and goes mad for greens, to me she feels on the skinny side, under all her fluff.

Their weights are;

Barney, nethie boy - 135g
Marley Lionhead lady - 256g

I just worry I'm feeding them and looking after them right :roll:

Those are definitely not the right weights.

Could you mean 1.35kg and 2.56kg? Those actually look about right for the bunnies you have in your sig.

Those are definitely not the right weights.

Could you mean 1.35kg and 2.56kg? Those actually look about right for the bunnies you have in your sig.

:shock::shock::shock: Just checked my scales and yes there is the smallest of decimal point on there, thats what u get with weight watcher scales:lol:
I've weighed them again on bigger scales, and me holding them and weights came out at
Marley 2.3kg
Barney 1.5kg

Does that sound about right, and ok??

:shock::shock::shock: Just checked my scales and yes there is the smallest of decimal point on there, thats what u get with weight watcher scales:lol:

I was just thinking they're not much heavier than my hamster. :lol::lol:

I think, as Sky-O said it's better to monitor their weight, rather than compare them against other bunnies of the same breed. :D If they're about the right weight, you should be able to just about feel their spine/hip bones but with a covering of fat.

If the bones are too prominent, they could be a little underweight and if you start having problems feeling the bones, they are maybe getting slightly porky.

Does that sound about right, and ok??

It's impossible to say, it's a bit like asking how much a 20 year old british woman should weigh - there just isn't a single answer, it depends on how tall, broad, heavily boned etc the individual is. 8.5 stone might be perfect for someone 5ft tall, but it would be hugely underweight for someone 5'8, for instance. I used to have 2 netherland dwarves - one is 'about right' for his own size at 1.35kg; the other was 'about right' for her size at 900g. So if we just said that a nethie should be about 1kg, that doesn't really help you because it could be overweight, underweight or about right, depending on the individual.

As others have said, it's far better to just get to know your own bunnies by feel, especially around the spine, ribs and hip bones. The size of the belly is not a good indication as bunnies can feel very full in their tummies when they are quite underweight. You should be able to make out the top of the spine and hip bones; if you can't feel them then bun is probably a bit fat, but you shouldn't be able to feel down the sides of the spinal bones or feel huge amounts of hip bone.

Every time I see this thread title I picture a bunny with sweat bands and dumbbells. :oops:

Ok, so I have felt the buns both over Barney you can feel his spine and hip but not promenent. Marley on the other hand can feel her spine and hip quite alot. So what would be the best thing to do? Get her checked out a the vet 1st and just up her pellets a little and increase their hay(although they get unlimited now) and up her vegies???

Has she lost weight? i.e. did you notice if those bits were prominent previously?

I would probably have a vet check to err on the side of caution if I wasn't sure and then start to play about with the diet.

Has she lost weight? i.e. did you notice if those bits were prominent previously?

I would probably have a vet check to err on the side of caution if I wasn't sure and then start to play about with the diet.

I think she has lost a bit more weight yes, but then I have changed her food over, and bonded her with Barney. (Obviously changing the food over slowly) I'm just wondering if she's not getting as much food as Barney is when feeding them, Barney is a food monster.
They were prominent when we first got her as well tho, but she's so fluffy it's not till you handle her do u get a true feel of her. I'm going to get her booked in for a check anyway.
She was spayed in November just 3 weeks before coming to us so would have thought the vet would have said if they were concerned, and the rescue I got her from would def had said, Just hoping it's all the running round she's been doin with Barney and thats it.
Thanx so much for help and advice Sky-O really appreciate it.

What food was she on, and what did you change her to?

Is she fluffy? (That's what you seem to be saying), could you post a picture of her?

I ask all that because fluffy rabbits needs more protein in their diet (or more pellets) to maintain their weight because producing the fluffy fur is 'hard work' for them.

My Lily weighs 750grammes and BB weighs in at 1.50ish.Not true Nethies,but health problems galore for Lils.

What food was she on, and what did you change her to?

Is she fluffy? (That's what you seem to be saying), could you post a picture of her?

I ask all that because fluffy rabbits needs more protein in their diet (or more pellets) to maintain their weight because producing the fluffy fur is 'hard work' for them.

How do you know how much more pellets fluffy bunnies require? Gizmo looks huge for her 4 months, but when you feel her she is tiny n cuddle. When I first got her as a baby I could feel every aspect of her skull n spine but its not as bad now. Every bump n curve

Back