• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 2 males -how many successes?

molly35

Mama Doe
I have been offered a german lop who is unfortunately a boy and they need rid of him due to house move asap, but I also have Jingle who is a boy (I've started looking for a girl for him).

Is it worth me taking Jingle up to introduce them and see if they maybe have a chance or just keep on the girl bun hunt? I seriously cant fit any more hutches/sheds in and I'm about to take on another foster shortly. I just hate to think where he'll end up if I don't take him.

I think its worth a shot. As long as the two males are both nuetered you shouldn't have too much trouble. In my sister's old house she had Grimlock and another rabbit Hugs living together. They weren't even fully bonded but they got on quite well. I don't always thing bonding has to be about opposite genders. I think two males could easily make a lasting bond just as well.
I say go for it! :love:

I have 2 males together - they are brothers. When I got them I was told they were two females :roll: until took them for their first injections and the vet said they were males, and to go back in two weeks for them to get neutered. Came home 10 days later, 4 days prior to the neutering appointment, and found fur all over the place and Harly with a big cut in his head - puberty hormones kicking in! Cue trip to the vet for stitches and express neutering, keeping them apaprt for 4 weeks, then re-bonding them. I let them out in the garden a couple of times together, there was some squabbling, and when I thought it was getting out of hand or aggressive (rather than just assessing dominance) I split them, then after a few times of doing that I took them inside into a small space (I used my bathroom), gave them seperate cat carriers with hay in as their own private space, went throo the first morning and they were both in the same carrier cuddled up :) kept them in for another 2 days to be sure were going to be fine, and they have been fine since. I would say its worth a try

I had two males together, they were ok for ages, then all of a sudden they started fighting. They were ok however when I bonded them with two girls.

What would happen if you started to bond them and it didntwork, would youb ahve space for two seperate set-ups?

Its probably easier if they are brothers who grow up together. I had two boys and they loved each other. Never saw any agrressive behaviour, just humping and a little fur pulling. Mostly it was Gasket asserting his dominance.

Problem is, what would you do if you couldn't make it work? Would the owner take him back? At least with a rescue they have the support so if things don't work you can return the bun.

I have decided to wait for the rescue to get back to me regarding the female. I am no good at waiting once I have decided something :lol:

I have loads of all male pairs, sometimes self selected but sometimes not...:wave:

In have several bonded Bucks and the were easier to bond than any Buck/Doe.

I think it's as much to do with the Bun's personalities as much as their gender, as long as they are both neutered.

I have limited experience of bonding

first one did by the book and it ended in vets visit
second one you could tell straight away that it would work
Third one was amazingly easy they bonded practically straight away and I naughtily didn't really go through and of the normal steps
Fourth one - tried to bond a pair and my foster - could tell straight away that it just wasn't happening

Do you think its possible to assess whether it has a good chance of working from first introductions?

I have been offered a german lop who is unfortunately a boy and they need rid of him due to house move asap, but I also have Jingle who is a boy (I've started looking for a girl for him).

Is it worth me taking Jingle up to introduce them and see if they maybe have a chance or just keep on the girl bun hunt? I seriously cant fit any more hutches/sheds in and I'm about to take on another foster shortly. I just hate to think where he'll end up if I don't take him.

its worth trying ive had 7 boys live together and it worked well ;)
best of luck
ann xx

I have limited experience of bonding

first one did by the book and it ended in vets visit
second one you could tell straight away that it would work
Third one was amazingly easy they bonded practically straight away and I naughtily didn't really go through and of the normal steps
Fourth one - tried to bond a pair and my foster - could tell straight away that it just wasn't happening

Do you think its possible to assess whether it has a good chance of working from first introductions?

....would it be possible to give it a go? Not taking him permanently but for a few days to see if it would work and introduce them slowly and see if there's a chance?

I mean, if your hesitant to take him permanently without knowing if it COULD work, the only other option is to not have him....so giving it a trial run would give him a chance and would make the decision for you :)
I know in some rescues they let you introduce rabbits first to see if they match so I don't think you would be doing bad by the boy if you were to try.

And then you would know in your heart you gave your best shot at re-homing him if things don't go to plan. You can still wait out for a girly bunny knowing you did your best!

Back