• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lino Edging?

Silicon is highly toxic

I'm sorry I disagree. It's inert and is inaccessible in the grooves along the edge of the hutch. It certainly isn't an issue for my rabbits.

ETA I think perhaps you are confusing the element Silicon with Silicone - which is a low toxic plastic. If it were highly toxic Silicone would not be used for human prosthetics/implants.

I'd just like to clarify that yes - if it was absorbed into the bloodstream then silicon - a component of silicone plastic can cause problems and toxicity of course it can, but ingested it would pass straight through. Sand is silicon - if it were that toxic we would all die if we swallowed sand off the beach! We also wouldn't use silicone plastic to seal kitchen work surfaces - that we ingest food off. It's all to do with how you process it - it's toxicity, ingested it is relatively inert, on top of this I have no idea how a rabbit would access it once smoothly sealed into the gap between two right angles! :?

However, Ambience you must use whatever you feel safest using.

Last edited:
If your worried, try the variety sold for fishtanks. It probably costs a little extra but its tested to ensure it won't release toxins that effect fish/corals even after years of sitting in water... that probably makes it safe for rabbits even if swallowed.

We used laminate flooring edging strips

Or you could use cheap plain wood batons, so if they chew them it wont harm them and it's cheap to replace

Thanks all- I just need it so i don't have tiny grooves down the edges of the hutches- it's frustrating sat there with a knife trying to fish out droppings that have rolled down the edge. Not to mention if the bunnies pee outside the tray, cleaning in these parts is difficult.

I think wood edging would be more inkeeping with the hutches than metal, then again- metal will last and be easier to maintain. I'll probably go with this.

What tools do i need- electric screwdriver,screws- anything else? How do i cut the metal to size?

A hack saw should cut through it. If you prefer wood edging go for that. Its pretty cheap so you can replace it if necessary :)

You need a Junior Hacksaw, go for one with a rubber handle, not a metal handle as they are very uncomfortable. You also need a metal file to file off the burred edges that sawing creates. Then of course you need small screws and a screwdriver. If you want to do small pieces you may also need a drill and some metal drill bits to create new holes in the metal. If you're just doing long bits then you won't need the drill.

Back