• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vets just called , think Earl wont make it...UD- back home

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
I cant type too much...

The coughing I talked about two weeks ago.. never went. Anti biotics didnt shift it. Two days ago he was admitted. Endescope and Xrays show inflamed lungs. Looks like pneumonia. Hes making a strange clicking noise every few breaths...

He was eating until 2pm on 7/01/11. Now he has stopped. They say his breathing is poor. He is on injectable pain killers and baytril, and has just had gut stimulant.

They rang to ''prepare us''

PLease send all the vibes you can spare. Earl is such a characted. Loved by everyone who meets him. Going to put some pics below to channel your vibes too!

Im sorry its pic heavy, I just love them all.

Thank you (if your still up) for reading

Photo0495.jpg

Photo0448-1.jpg

buns014.jpg

newbun003.jpg

DSCF0282.jpg

Photo033.jpg

campearl.jpg

photosforprinting222.jpg

photosforprinting255.jpg

Image_00010.jpg

Last edited:
I'm very sorry about Earl :cry:. If it is pneumonia then he needs some very strong antibiotics such as Penicillin or Engemycin - both injectable. An Oxygen tank may also help him at this stage if he is struggling to breathe.
Lots of vibes x

I'm very sorry about Earl :cry:. If it is pneumonia then he needs some very strong antibiotics such as Penicillin or Engemycin - both injectable. An Oxygen tank may also help him at this stage if he is struggling to breathe.
Lots of vibes x

they originally gave baytril for one week, then somethign that smelt like banana for two weeks, then injectible baytril again today........ i think its too late to change again what do you think? they said penicillin is a risk and not licensed for use in bunnies?

Tons and tons of vibes for earl :love::love: I'm feeling your pain, it's so horrible :( love and hugs and nose rubs to you and him xxx

they originally gave baytril for one week, then somethign that smelt like banana for two weeks, then injectible baytril again today........ i think its too late to change again what do you think? they said penicillin is a risk and not licensed for use in bunnies?

The banana stuff was probably Septrin. Neither Septrin nor baytril are strong enough for Pneumonia which is extremely serious. Penicillin by injection is not licensed for rabbits and neither is LA Engemycin (an Oxytetracycline) but if the other abx are not working and Earl's condition is life threatening there is nothing to lose by trying. Pneumonia can not be cured with baytril. :cry:
Injectable stronger abx such as the ones I have mentioned do carry a risk of clostridia to the gut but nothing like the risk that most vets seem to think and these side effects are associated with penicillin etc prescribed orally. Injectable carries much lower risks. Earl is in a serious condition so the IMO the benefits outweigh the risk.
They could also give him metronidazole which can protect him from the risks of clostridia. Some buns will react to penicillin negatively but these are not as common as vets not confident prescribing off-license antibiotics think. Personally I would be trying everythiing at this stage.
LA engemycin is a good alternative to penicillin as is strong and broad spectrum.

ETA vets are allowed to go off-license if the prescribing cascade proves ineffective - i.e. baytril.
Most exotic vets won't even bother with baytril and will go straight to off-license for this serious condition.
Everthing crossed for Earl that he can pull through.
Again I would mention that an Oxygen tank can be helpful if he is having a respiratory crisis.

Last edited:
Did hope not pull through?

No she didn't sadly, but she had respiratory problems for many years and spent a lot of time in a nebulising unit that we borrowed from Bunny Burrows rescue and she was about 6 years old and she died at home in November.
Earl is in the best place as they will do all they can for him, I really hope he will be ok and fingers and paws are all crossed here for him.

thanks all for the vibes and advice.

Have called vets the nurse on duty said she has wrote for the vet to change to penicillin in the morning.... when they come on duty.

Going to try get some rest now i think il be busy tomorrow.

Thanks all

Back