• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sooty's new hay problem!!

charl86

Alpha Buck
Hay has been giving me nothing but trouble for nearly a year now! Sooty is a terrible hay eater and and I've tried everything to get him to eat more, but a few days ago he started getting picky with his food so booked him in for another dental under GA. I went I went to pick him up afterwards the vet said that he only had a tiny spur which probably wouldn't of been causing him much pain, but he had a big piece of hay lodged between his teeth and in his gum which was probably making it uncomfortable for him to eat!! Typical! He has to have regular dentals because he wont eat hay and then when he does eat it it causes him to need a dental! I cant win! Has anybody else ever heard of this happening?

Awh poor bunny! Well this sounds incredibly familiar! :p My sister's rabbit Grimlock is absolutely awful when it comes to hay - he just won't eat it. And its also causing no end of problems.
However there is a possible solution you could try if your Sooty really refuses to eat hay. There's fibreplex which is a gel you can feed to your rabbit by squirting into their mouth. Or if that's not going to happen there is also pro fibre pellets that are high fibre pellets.

Either of these could help if Sooty is struggling with hay. The only other thing I can think of is if he will eat some hay then give him a softer shorter hay - I know it's not as good for him as the longer rougher types but at least he won't get it stuck in his teeth!

Hope this helps! :)

Hi thanks I'll keep my eye out for the pro fibre pellets they sound like they would be good for him until hopefully I can get him eating more hay.
I just cant believe that with the little bit of hay he does eat he's managed to get a bit lodged in his mouth, I just hope it doesn't add to his disliking of hay!
I'm also wondering if it hadn't been removed when it was could it of led to another abcess in the way bits of leftover food can lead to abcesses in people?:?

Back