• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

QI

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone seen it tonight?

I hope nobody decides to try 'hypnotising' (aka trancing) their rabbit after that :evil::evil::evil:

Nobody actually did it but it was mentioned as they were talking about hypnosis. You just know some idiot is going to try it as sadly they didn't say anything about the fear they undergo when tranced. :evil:

Oh dear, is it that bad? I didnt know that :oops: I tried to get Barney to do it the other day so I could examine his neuter wound/scar as noone is here to help me and I get kicked in the face... why do they get so scared?

The vet tries to do it to barney every time so he can have a look at his privates or feet but he says hes never met a rabbit like barney that it doesnt work on :? he just doesnt trance.

Nobody actually did it but it was mentioned as they were talking about hypnosis. You just know some idiot is going to try it as sadly they didn't say anything about the fear they undergo when tranced. :evil:

:wave: Please explain ive never heard about this.

I saw this, I got very angry at it. :( I hate QI I really do full of information yet doesn't ever mention the risks

I missed the trancing bit, but I did notice they said rabbits dont make very good pets because they dont like to be held and can be aggressive, which while not entirely accurate is at least better than "awww rabbits arent they cute an fluffy" etc.

I think they get stressed when tranced because they are prey animals..... its been shown their heart rate increased and various suchlike..... associated with stress.

It's a fear response. I don't know all the in's and out's - maybe someone else can explain. :oops:

I missed the trancing bit, but I did notice they said rabbits dont make very good pets because they dont like to be held and can be aggressive, which while not entirely accurate is at least better than "awww rabbits arent they cute an fluffy" etc.

Yeah I thought that too. I think she said cos they're grumpy :roll: Well considering most are in tiny cages they would be wouldn't they :roll:

The technical name for trancing is 'tonic immobility' and it is thought to be a fear reaction: the bunny basically 'plays dead' in the hope that whatever animal has hold of it will loosen its grip and then it can flip out of the trance and run off.

Dr Anne McBride has done some research on this and identified that rabbits which have been tranced have significantly elevated levels of the stress hormone cortisol in their bloodstream during and for up to half an hour after trancing - showing that even if the rabbits seem relaxed in that position, they actually aren't :)

Of course there is the odd occasion where a quick trance may be the preferable option, for instance to look at a wound on the underside, but I wouldn't advise doing it for the sake of it or because you think the bunny likes it, because the research suggests that in spite of looks, they don't :)

The technical name for trancing is 'tonic immobility' and it is thought to be a fear reaction: the bunny basically 'plays dead' in the hope that whatever animal has hold of it will loosen its grip and then it can flip out of the trance and run off.

Dr Anne McBride has done some research on this and identified that rabbits which have been tranced have significantly elevated levels of the stress hormone cortisol in their bloodstream during and for up to half an hour after trancing - showing that even if the rabbits seem relaxed in that position, they actually aren't :)

Of course there is the odd occasion where a quick trance may be the preferable option, for instance to look at a wound on the underside, but I wouldn't advise doing it for the sake of it or because you think the bunny likes it, because the research suggests that in spite of looks, they don't :)

Tonic immobility happens to sharks too, but it great care is taken when it is done because sometimes they dont come out of it :eek:

So is my vet right in saying Barney doesnt trance? He just goes mental when he tries to put him in it and refuses to stay still, flipping and kicking all over the place. Or is my vet just doing it wrong? Hes not an exotic vet but he said he looked after the rabbits at uni, so I assume he has experience.

Tonic immobility happens to sharks too, but it great care is taken when it is done because sometimes they dont come out of it :eek:

Yeah they mentioned sharks on Qi too, apparently dolphins flip them over sometimes to kill them :shock:

So is my vet right in saying Barney doesnt trance? He just goes mental when he tries to put him in it and refuses to stay still, flipping and kicking all over the place. Or is my vet just doing it wrong? Hes not an exotic vet but he said he looked after the rabbits at uni, so I assume he has experience.

Without seeing it, it's impossible for anyone of us to say really! Some bunnies are certainly easier to trance than others so it's perfectly possible that he just doesn't tolerate being flipped on his back so never quite gets to the trance-like state. Bunnies haven't read the text book so they invariably don't always do what we expect them to :lol::)

Back