• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best option? Shed+Avairy or Dog Kennels

shed and aviary - more adaptable, more inside space, more options on size combinations and orientation.

usually a 10 x 4 = 5x4 x 2 roughly, occasionally 3x4 + 7x4

When i see pics of people's kennel set ups (no offence to anyone) i always think the kennel part is tall and narrow, so you can't effectively use the full height by putting up shelves etc.

But i a shed you can have a good sized shelf or two, or a hutch and shelf etc. There is space to sit in there with them, move around when you are cleaning out. Obviously a covered aviary is the best idea, but even if the weather is horrible and they dont go out, a shed is big enough for some running around, playing and binkying.

You can also arrange a shed + aviary on a right angle or off-set next to each other etc, however they fit into the space, whereas a kennel is a fixed rectangle.

For your purposes I would say the aviary option. I have a kennel which is a 4x4 sleeping area and 6x4 run but my buns get to free range in my whole garden for a good portion of the day. You can put shelves in it as it is like having a playhouse and run set-up but I wouldn't like to confine my guys to it 24:7, if they had to be I would go for a 10x6x6 aviary attached to a 6x4 shed as minimum.

A shed and run/aviary, if foxes become a problem you can keep them in the shed bit during the night whereas the indoor bit on dog kennels and runs is usually quite small and you probably wouldn't want to do this.

I think sheds waste a lot of height space and because they are so tall rabbits won't feel as secure in them. I also think kennels are more convenient. I think the ideal combination would be a kennel + run.

I have had both and much prefer the dog kennel run,can cover easy with perpex in bad weather/Winter and bunnies are able to sit in the run which is nice and light and stay dry.

Personally I prefer shed/run combos for a few reasons.
The first and main reason is that they're tall enough to easily walk about in and clean out whereas kennels are usually about 4ft. (If you're going to have a lot of these set ups I'd think about your back!)
They are more adaptable to the space you have available and you have a lot of options with regards to inside space and run space.
My rabbits prefer being out in an open space when they're outside. I've tried giving them more shelter in their run and they always choose the most "open" part (where they can see everything and feel the breeze I guess). Kind of tied in to this is the fact that kennels have an opaque roof, which I think can be a bit dingy for buns who like the feeling of being outside.

edit: didn't realise this was a bit old.:oops:

I have a full height (same as a shed) kennel and run the kennel is 6ft x 4ft and the run is 6ft x 6ft, it does still feel small though.

Back